Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish in 5 gallon

TatiannaC

Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process of cycling my 5 gallon Fluval Sea Evo V. The only fish I have any interest in adding once my cycle is complete, is a clownfish. However, this will all be very temporary. I am planning on getting a larger (25 gallon) tank when I move into my own place in less than a year, which he will be moved into. My question is whether a juvenile clownfish could have a decent quality of life in a 5 gallon tank temporarily? I would never want to compromise the health or happiness of my fish. Thank you in advance for your replies.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would avoid it because they can grow pretty quickly while you're still thinking about planning a new tank. Sometimes life gets in the way and your new tank isn't possible. Get the clown when you have your new tank IMO since less than a year isn't a long wait for you.

If you want a fish, go with a goby! If you want something that's going to be active, go with another nano fish or maybe even a skunk cleaner shrimp. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Coinee said:

Honestly, I would avoid it because they can grow pretty quickly while you're still thinking about planning a new tank. Sometimes life gets in the way and your new tank isn't possible. Get the clown when you have your new tank IMO since less than a year isn't a long wait for you.

If you want a fish, go with a goby! If you want something that's going to be active, go with another nano fish or maybe even a skunk cleaner shrimp. 

Thank you for your advice. You're right, I would feel uncomfortable housing a clown in something so small long term if it didn't work out. What goby do you recommend?

9 minutes ago, TatiannaC said:

Thank you for your advice. You're right, I would feel uncomfortable housing a clown in something so small long term if it didn't work out. What goby do you recommend?

There are a lot of goby fishes that are suitable for your tank. Watchman Goby, Panda Goby, Green Banded Goby and so on...

Some people dedicate a tank to a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp since they can pair up and help each other out, it's quite an interesting relationship to see. But if you do get a pistol shrimp, they can cause problems with other tank creatures (hermits, shrimp etc) by killing them, hence most people keeping them in a separate aquarium.

I can't recommend anything because I have never kept them. So, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. But the good news is most gobies tend to be very passive so in the future when you get a bigger tank and add clownfish, you won't have to worry about the goby causing problems if you move it. 

You can check out the tank journal section of the forum and see what people are keeping in their Fluval Evo tanks...they are quite popular here and may give you ideas. Even though the tank itself is still relatively small, some of the tanks look amazing when grown out with coral and a small fish or two, truly mesmerizing. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I love my Hi Fin Red Banded Goby pair and candy cane pistol shrimp.  The shrimp is always playing bulldozer and the gobies are full of personality.  I've never had any issue with the pistol bothering any other tank inhabitants.

I've also in the past had a citron goby.  Very similar in body shape to a clown with some awesome lemon-orange and blue coloration.  I also really enjoy my ORA neon blue goby, but be advised they fit through most overflows and seem to enjoy the water slide ride and private apartment (sump) at the bottom.  I've had to set up a separate tank for this one which doubles as my QT tank.

Here's a couple pictures:

Hi Fin Red Banded gobies with candy cane pistol shrimp.

WP_20190118_14_24_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.f63d34c2f23866798b8a5676e42b7d9c.jpg

Blue Neon Goby with my tail spot blenny.  I've since removed most of the algae you see... 🙂

WP_20180830_12_35_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.7bd771742e1c061d31336ceae6f1662e.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Coinee said:

There are a lot of goby fishes that are suitable for your tank. Watchman Goby, Panda Goby, Green Banded Goby and so on...

Some people dedicate a tank to a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp since they can pair up and help each other out, it's quite an interesting relationship to see. But if you do get a pistol shrimp, they can cause problems with other tank creatures (hermits, shrimp etc) by killing them, hence most people keeping them in a separate aquarium.

I can't recommend anything because I have never kept them. So, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. But the good news is most gobies tend to be very passive so in the future when you get a bigger tank and add clownfish, you won't have to worry about the goby causing problems if you move it. 

You can check out the tank journal section of the forum and see what people are keeping in their Fluval Evo tanks...they are quite popular here and may give you ideas. Even though the tank itself is still relatively small, some of the tanks look amazing when grown out with coral and a small fish or two, truly mesmerizing. 

Good luck!

Thank you! I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Everything you've written has been educational and a great help.

3 hours ago, empresto said:

I love my Hi Fin Red Banded Goby pair and candy cane pistol shrimp.  The shrimp is always playing bulldozer and the gobies are full of personality.  I've never had any issue with the pistol bothering any other tank inhabitants.

I've also in the past had a citron goby.  Very similar in body shape to a clown with some awesome lemon-orange and blue coloration.  I also really enjoy my ORA neon blue goby, but be advised they fit through most overflows and seem to enjoy the water slide ride and private apartment (sump) at the bottom.  I've had to set up a separate tank for this one which doubles as my QT tank.

Here's a couple pictures:

Hi Fin Red Banded gobies with candy cane pistol shrimp.

WP_20190118_14_24_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.f63d34c2f23866798b8a5676e42b7d9c.jpg

Blue Neon Goby with my tail spot blenny.  I've since removed most of the algae you see... 🙂

WP_20180830_12_35_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.7bd771742e1c061d31336ceae6f1662e.jpg

Oh my goodness, they are so precious! now im definitely interested in adopting the goby/shrimp pair!:) thank you for sharing.

For a year, it can be in a 5g. Clowns generally stick to 1 area.

My clowns are in a 25g. They host a frogspawn and they don't venture far from it.

Others have kept a clown successfully in a 5g as well before upgrading.

Ppl keep 2 in 10g's.

If you don't over feed, keep up with good husbandry, choose aquascape that isn't over crowded, you should be fine. 

40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

My clowns are in a 25g. They host a frogspawn and they don't venture far from it.

Ppl keep 2 in 10g's.

If you don't over feed, keep up with good husbandry, choose aquascape that isn't over crowded, you should be fine. 

This. All of it. Every word of it.

Go buy your clown and enjoy your clown. Be happy. Clowns grow slowly and adapt very well to captivity. For example, mine eats out of my hand and enjoys belly rubs. Your mileage might vary

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ppl keep 2 in 10g's.

This gives me so much hope!:) I've been wanting a clown for years, but simply don't have the space for a larger tank. I think I'm definitely going to get one.

1 minute ago, JBM said:

This. All of it. Every word of it.

Go buy your clown and enjoy your clown. Be happy. Clowns grow slowly and adapt very well to captivity. For example, mine eats out of my hand and enjoys belly rubs. Your mileage might vary

That sounds super adorable. And now I'm excited to get a clown again:) Thank you!

Meh, I had two clowns in a IM10g and as adults, they looked cramped to me once the corals started growing in. My clowns are pretty active though and pretty much claimed all of my 22g even though they have a nem they sleep in. When I had them in a 75g they used about half of it.... I got some hyperactive clowns!

in a small tank a yellow clown goby adds lots of personality.  Maybe a hifin or a small sand sifter like watchman paired with them as they occupy different zones in the tank.  watchman is a jumper though

shrimps and gobies. they can happily live in that size tank, and will get along with the clowns. its possible to keep clowns in a 5g, but they are ammonia factories and would be more trouble than theyre worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very happy healthy juvenile clown in my Fluval Evo 5gal, set up and pics are on my profile. I’d only recommend it if 1) you’re going to do frequent water changes, 2) plan on upgrading eventually (which I am currently doing) 

, and 3) get your clownfish at a very small size, mine was less than an inch long. I would definitely not recommend getting an adult clownfish and keeping it in a 5gal for the entirety of its life. Then vs now pics

C67190F5-E30E-4BCC-8AD9-04DFFB12896D.jpeg

C5E841C6-09BA-4DA8-928D-B985F6509C3B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

The candy-cane or randall's pistol will take out a few hermit crabs, especially if they won't leave the burrow alone or the pistol will also hunt them at night sometimes.   They are cheap and only lose one or two a month.

• 1 month later...

If it's really going to be short-term before this move into your own place, I would have patience and wait to do your setup there.  Use the time to read books, do more online research, buy gear you find, etc.

If you just can't wait, stick with inverts only until after the move....corals if you want, for example.  

I wouldn't try anything elaborate or delicate for obvious reasons.

If this would be your first tank, then forget the second option and just wait, read, do research, etc. 😉 

• Like 1
On 2/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, Coinee said:

+1

i wouldnt get the clown now, but shrimp or coral should be fine

• 5 months later...

have a Humbug Damsel in my 5gal, no other fish, and a plethora of inverts (mostly crabs, long story)

The damsel is pretty similar to an oc. Clown in terms of size and behaviour, as long as you are not shy of a water change (I do 50% every week) you’ll be fine.

only reason I went humbug and not clown was £7 vs. £20 😂 and soooooooooo much character.

• Like 1

Thanks Kingprawn for making me aware of this time capsule.

OP posted on 2/15/2019:

On 2/15/2019 at 9:52 PM, TatiannaC said:

Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process of cycling my 5 gallon Fluval Sea Evo V. The only fish I have any interest in adding once my cycle is complete, is a clownfish. However, this will all be very temporary. I am planning on getting a larger (25 gallon) tank when I move into my own place in less than a year, which he will be moved into. My question is whether a juvenile clownfish could have a decent quality of life in a 5 gallon tank temporarily? I would never want to compromise the health or happiness of my fish. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Fast forward 6 months and 1 week later to 8/26/2019:

On 8/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, TatiannaC said:

Hello. I'm selling my complete evo V setup for $300. Price is negotiable, feel free to make an offer. Local pickup only, no shipping. 

Included in the price is: The tank and everything in it (1 juvenile clownfish, two very tiny purple mushroom corals, a large assortment of snails, approximately 5lbs of live rock, 5lbs of live sand.) stock light and pump, inTank media basket, Hydor Koralia 240 nano, 2 hydor original Theo heaters, thermometer, api master saltwater test kit, approximately 9lbs of extra dry rock and 5lbs of dry sand, extra ammonia in the bottle, a refractometer, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, and mysis shrimp, and finally about 14 lbs of instant ocean salt. (NOTE: all of this equipment is used, but in good condition)

The tank itself is very healthy. I have not noticed any pests, and all additions were quarantined before being added to the tank. the tank is currently having a slight diatom outbreak.

Here are some old photos, Ill update this thread with new ones in the morning. (one clownfish and the green mushroom are no longer in the tank.)

0FF37D7B-5E1E-4CC9-B284-3D35B45D7C32.jpe

61331730-6093-4136-91E7-97178EBD38C6.jpe

57C1DED1-0E8C-4CA2-A02E-CE04F66937D5.jpe

It looks like the OP ignored everyone's advice and chose to have 2 clownfish in a 5 gallon, but then this happened: "one clownfish and the green mushroom are no longer in the tank".  I wonder what may have happened...

6 months and 1 week before quitting the hobby.  My advice is to get a betta fish, they're colorful and cheaper or read some books instead! 😉

On 7/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, mcarroll said:

If it's really going to be short-term before this move into your own place, I would have patience and wait to do your setup there.  Use the time to read books, do more online research, buy gear you find, etc.

If you just can't wait, stick with inverts only until after the move....corals if you want, for example.  

I wouldn't try anything elaborate or delicate for obvious reasons.

If this would be your first tank, then forget the second option and just wait, read, do research, etc. 😉 

You were spot on, awesome advice! 🙂

• Like 1

I'm torn on this myself. I'm planning on putting together a 5.5 Gallon Reef, and I really want a clown.  I was thinking the same thing a few stated above, get a baby, and grow it out. I will have a bigger tank in the next year or so, no doubt about it. I'm limited to a 5.5 due to space in my apartment.

Obviously weekly water changes and a good filter will be a must here.

Am I completely crazy?

58 minutes ago, dannyk35 said:

I'm torn on this myself. I'm planning on putting together a 5.5 Gallon Reef, and I really want a clown.  I was thinking the same thing a few stated above, get a baby, and grow it out. I will have a bigger tank in the next year or so, no doubt about it. I'm limited to a 5.5 due to space in my apartment.

Obviously weekly water changes and a good filter will be a must here.

Am I completely crazy?

A IM10g is pretty space saving. 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

A IM10g is pretty space saving. 

A fellow Wisconsinite! What exactly is an IM10, and what's the price range on them? I looked it up and nothing really came up.