Pod Your Reef

HELP!!!!

SaltyMcsaltine

SaltyMcsaltine

I have a 20 gallon setup with a 10 gallon refugium I had small frags in there doing good then my buddy's house caught on fire which forced me to take his livestock a huge Duncan and some polyps and mushrooms they were thriving in his tank buy they are doing horrible in mine ???????? I domt know what to do ????

Random thoughts with no organization here:

I know its impossible to get the parameters of the old tank because of the very unfortunate circumstances, but they could be very different from yours (The basic parameters as well, but also the levels of Mg, Ca, etc.). That might be one reason.

Also, lighting, flow, etc., might be different and depending on how long they've been in your system, might need time to adjust. Last thought based on the limited information is that it could simply be a matter of waiting for them to open up.

Did you dip? I don't know the extent of the fire, but if the tank water got too hot, it might have hurt the corals. Ash/debris/fire extinguisher chemicals could have also found their way into the water and have affected the corals. 

I'd just double-check your params if you're worried... other than params and halfway decent placement (eg not shaded, way too much light or getting blasted by a powerhead) I think it might just be a time thing. If they were stressed badly they might just be closing up to recover from damage and/or to protect themselves from what they imagine is a potentially dangerous environment (which it was they were in before it seems like).

• Like 1
michaelbarfield

By the way, those brass valves could be doing bad things to your water. I would go to depot or lowes and get some plastic ones. I know depot has some cheap ones til you can get exactly what you may want. 

2 hours ago, michaelbarfield said:

By the way, those brass valves could be doing bad things to your water. I would go to depot or lowes and get some plastic ones. I know depot has some cheap ones til you can get exactly what you may want. 

As Michael pointed out, brass is a no no in reefing. It's an aloy with copper and will have bad chemical reactions with salt water. Copper will be stripped from the metal enter your water column. Great if you have ich I suppose but really bad for all your inverts and coral. Too much and your sand and rock will be permanently contaminated. Perhaps this could be the trouble with your friends corals. Yours were slowly acclimated to it and his suddenly introduced. Either way,  it is in your best interests and your aquarium to change those to PVC. 

• Like 1

I had a 55 gallon freshwater tank wth several 10 year old fish when I came home from work to my house on fire. Although the firemen saved most of the room the tank was in, everything was dead from the toxins in the smoke. 

If the corals are still alive, give them time to recover from the effects. 

• Like 1

The zinc will get stripped before the copper will in galvanic corrosion, as zinc is a sacrificial metal. 

That usually leads to the zinc getting eaten and then the copper oxidizing.  

But its still bad and nono in salt water enviorments, even if its marine brass.  

I think the only safe metals in salt water enviorments are 24K gold, Titanium, and 316L Stainless.