ReefCleaners.org

Is this finrot?

bloodhouse

Hey friends,

First SW tank. I test with an API kit daily. Test colors of my tank water match that of my clean bucket of SW. Orchid Dottyback is pretty new to my tank.

Does this look like finrot, an infection of some kind, or do I need another testing kit to verify my levels. Fish is very active, eats daily, doesn't hide that much. It looks to be getting worse though. I'm not sure if something is nipping at him or if this is illness.

IMG_20190214_134015.thumb.jpg.6cfcf435afc3d70e80b02efcadc73c9e.jpg

IMG_20190214_134058.thumb.jpg.5348f410492330ff2365f0496a2fa1c3.jpg

Thanks all,

Bloodhouse

Tanks been running for a month. It could be the electric blue damselfish I added a few days ago. I haven't seen any actual biting but I'e been watching this tank for a couple hours a day and there is a bit of chasing. The Orchid Dottyback though isn't hiding and isn't staying in a corner. He's basically acting the same as when it was only him.

Tail looks a little better today, maybe the damsel got a good bite in the first night.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I think it was nipping from the damsel. Looks a lot better today. I've been doing daily 1g water changes just in case something was wrong with my water that I wasn't noticing. I also broke a chunk off my larger piece of rock to give more room in the tank. It's a 13.5g fluval. The extra bit of space allows both fish to have a small overhang they alternate chilling under. The Orchid is very active today so they might have just needed some time to adjust and map out territory.

6 hours ago, bloodhouse said:

I think it was nipping from the damsel. Looks a lot better today. I've been doing daily 1g water changes just in case something was wrong with my water that I wasn't noticing. I also broke a chunk off my larger piece of rock to give more room in the tank. It's a 13.5g fluval. The extra bit of space allows both fish to have a small overhang they alternate chilling under. The Orchid is very active today so they might have just needed some time to adjust and map out territory.

Those two fish are unlikely to tolerate one another (or any other fish) in that small aquarium over the long-term.

2 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Those two fish are unlikely to tolerate one another (or any other fish) in that small aquarium over the long-term.

My Orchid is very docile, the damsel not so much. I'm gonna give it a week and if I see any other other damage to the tailfin I'll have to take him back. I thought electric damsels were less aggressive but my Orchid is probably just too docile.