Coral Vue Hydros

Peppermint shrimp nipping at frags?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
50 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

They eat aiptasia, so it's only natural that they could turn to desirable corals as well. 

I just got him bc I really needed things to clean my tank, all I have right now is 6 small blue legged hermits, 1 big red Mexican legged hermit, 2 golf ball sized turbos, and the peppermint shrimp. 

That’s for a 27 gallon tall

Peppermint shrimp are known to eat coral.

They eat aiptasia, therefore they can develop a taste for coral as well.

I will never put 1 in any of my tanks after my experience with them.

Cleaner shrimp will tick off corals by stealing food but you don't hear of them eating coral.

Many have had to sit by watching their peppermints chow down on a coral- horrible what such a small thing can do in the matter of minutes.

The trick I used to remove peppermints- get a larger net and a small/normal net.

Place the larger net to the rear of the shrimp and go at him with the other one in front.

They jump back when startled or chased and will end up jumping right into the other net. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Peppermint shrimp are known to eat coral.

They eat aiptasia, therefore they can develop a taste for coral as well.

I will never put 1 in any of my tanks after my experience with them.

Cleaner shrimp will tick off corals by stealing food but you don't hear of them eating coral.

Many have had to sit by watching their peppermints chow down on a coral- horrible what such a small thing can do in the matter of minutes.

The trick I used to remove peppermints- get a larger net and a small/normal net.

Place the larger net to the rear of the shrimp and go at him with the other one in front.

They jump back when startled or chased and will end up jumping right into the other net. 

Not mine, he doesn’t get startled, when I put my hand in the tank, he will purposely chase and attack me.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

get more snails Ethan. and perhaps a brittle starfish.

The two that I have right now are the size of a gold ball😂.

I’ll get like 5 more 

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Not mine, he doesn’t get startled, when I put my hand in the tank, he will purposely chase and attack me.

Temp him with frozen food, let him get on your hand and remove him

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

smaller one's...sand sifters and the like.

check up on what's usually included in the average clean up crew.  🙂

I just don’t want to get to much, bc I don’t want something to die when they deplete the food source.

tsk tsk Ethan...algae never stops...but when it gets under control and not so prevalent, they look to other things, leftover food bits and detrius...and you can feed them supplements to keep them healthy and happy 😄

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, Friendly said:

tsk tsk Ethan...algae never stops...but when it gets under control and not so prevalent, they look to other things, leftover food bits and detrius...and you can feed them supplements to keep them healthy and happy 😄

Oh ok😂. Sorry, I’m still new with all this.

I didn’t take very good care of my tank for about a year, I’m just now starting to put everything I can into it.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
21 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey Ethan, no worries man, you have more experience than I do...I don't have a tank yet...I've just been absorving information for the last three years. 😄

You don’t have a tank yet and you’ve been on here for 3 years?😱 Do you not just have the money? You deserve a tank. We should start a go fund me to get you a tank😂.

• Like 1

I got married and sidetracked...then we moved to help out my wifes folks as they're aging and have no space.

we're moving into a place this month though, so I will be able to break out all the gear I have and start a small nano or a few pico's.

I have the entire Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill jar collection...the 3 gal, 2 gal, 1 gal, 1/2 gal...so could have some fun with species only projects. :D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Friendly said:

I got married and sidetracked...then we moved to help out my wifes folks as they're aging and have no space.

we're moving into a place this month though, so I will be able to break out all the gear I have and start a small nano or a few pico's.

I have the entire Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill jar collection...the 3 gal, 2 gal, 1 gal, 1/2 gal...so could have some fun with species only projects. 😄

Surely with a wait that long you deserve a 100 gallon rimless tank 😉

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Coinee said:

Surely with a wait that long you deserve a 100 gallon rimless tank 😉

indeed...however we're not leaving by choice, but because my Father In Law decided they don't need help, when it's far from the truth. we're afraid there will likely be an event that could require us to move back in a short time, so we're not going to do anything big until we see how things go.

honestly though...I'd like a couple of long's...12 or 22 gallon and then a few smaller species only tanks, for the likes of Mantis shrimp and such.

Mine were model citizens for a year. I put two multi-head acans in and by the next day they had eaten the centers out of all of them. Banished from my system for perpetuity! There’s always the toilet cure. Flush him.

just take it back to the LFS...mebe they'll trade you or give you a store credit...or see if there's anyone on here near you that would be happy to take it off your hands.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 2/15/2019 at 6:03 PM, Friendly said:

just take it back to the LFS...mebe they'll trade you or give you a store credit...or see if there's anyone on here near you that would be happy to take it off your hands.

I would love to set up a 10 gallon dedicated to a mantis shrimp, that would be awesome