Pod Your Reef

Red Sea reefer ATO question

Rymah

So I'm getting back into the hobby after 5 ish years and got my self a red Sea reefer 170 everything seems to be running fine I just don't understand the ATO.

Does the top up water go into the tank via the needle valve? Or is there a hole somewhere that I'm not seeing 

Can I just run a piece of air line from the float switch to the ATO tank and dump the needle valve entirely?

I know people tend to just use something else but I want to try with this set up first.
Thanks! 

The needle valve is just to isolate the reservoir if you wanted to move it with water in it, even though they say not to move it when its filled hahaha.. if you keep the valve on just open it all the way

Works well but runs out of water fast! And you have to keep the float clean so it doesn't stick

14 minutes ago, Weikel said:

The needle valve is just to isolate the reservoir if you wanted to move it with water in it, even though they say not to move it when its filled hahaha.. if you keep the valve on just open it all the way

Works well but runs out of water fast! And you have to keep the float clean so it doesn't stick

Thanks!  Where does the water come out of? .   Also if I just loosen the needle valve all the way won't it just dimp the entire reservoir into the tank? 

3 minutes ago, Rymah said:

Thanks!  Where does the water come out of? .   Also if I just loosen the needle valve all the way won't it just dimp the entire reservoir into the tank? 

It comes out of the float valve. If the float valve is all the way up it will stop the flow of water out.

6 minutes ago, Rymah said:

The holding tank goes through the tube then through the right angle needle valve then through another tube to the tit on the float. When the float is down the water flows in through a hole in the float assembly into the sump