Innovative Marine Aquariums

planning a 30 cube, need your help

scarletknight06

scarletknight06

well my 10g is succesful so far so I'd like to start planning my "dream" tank (sad that its only 30g's isnt it), the 30g cube. And i want to find out exactly what I need, so I can price it all out. I really dont know much at all about plumbing so thats where I need my biggest help. I want to be able to keep anything, sps, clams, etc.

1)Lighting: MH definately. I think a pendant would look cool, but I like the fluorescent colors that actinics give. What is a good solution? I found these.......http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...item=main:pp250

would that allow me to do what it want? or is there a better option?

2)sump/refugium: I'd like to get the biggest one that would fit in the stand (21" x 18¾" x 32), what size tank would fit? I was planning on a baffled off area in the middle for the fuge, and a remora for a skimmer (from what I've read they would be the best option, feel free to suggest differently). and that brings me to the most confusing section....

3) plumbing: From what I've gathered at this site and reefcentral, it would be best to drill the tank. I like the look of a central overflow in the 30 cube. How many holes should be drilled and where? Do i need an SWCD or sea swirl, and do i need additional holes for that? What return pump should I get? I really have no idea about what kinds and sizes and pvc pipes I would need, and what valves I need so if you could help me out with that it would be much appreciated.

4)livestock: would 2 Gold stripe maroon clowns be ok? I'd also like to have a royal gramma, six line wrasse, and a goby of some sort. I'd really like to have a flame hawkfish but worried it would eat shrimp (I would like to have some sexy shrimp and a blood shrimp). Is that too much of a bioload? and would they all peacefully coexist?

thanks in advance,

wish me luck in this venture

i did pretty much the same upgrade not too long ago.

Look at this thread for more info:

my 30g project

you could get mh pendant -aquamedic for $250 at marinedepot.com (and anything over $175 is free shipping and no tax!).

mh1.jpg

mh2.jpg

and DEFINITELY get em drilled...2 holes to fit 2 1" bulkeads worked for me...at the top of tank where waterline would be. But it can't handle more than 675 gph...so maybe get 3 holes or 2 holes fitted for bigger bulkheads....more than enuf is better than less (like me :| )

Well Very nice tank .. umm mabye a 20 Gallon sump or a custom job would be good for you if you havent alrdy chosen a sump

I made mine although its nothing pretty it gets the job done

Now i even made my own skimmer...

an now my own tank with is now a 30 gallon family ^___^

Pictures will be up soon hope you'll comment on mine Hehe

I am considering doing the same kind of cube setup later on down the road. Do you have any pictures of the center overflow? I had the idea of doing the same sort of thing and just stack the LR around it to hide it. I really want to do something very, very, low profile. The only downside to the central overflow is having to go to the surface (which is good for surface skimming I guess).

Another idea I had was just make two holes.. one for an intake pipe, and another for a spray bar.. but would this not create enough oxygen in the water?

scarletknight06

forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by external overflow.

look up 30 cube at reefcentral and there are alot of people with the same 30 cube set up, central oveflow

Originally posted by scarletknight06

forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by external overflow.

instead of having the overflow "box" sit in your tank, it is attached to the outside, so you free up that space.

Have it drilled. Use an internal overflow with Dursos. Get a 250w 20k DE MH pendant. I wouldn't worry about a fuge on a tank that size, so get a sump big enough to house a heater, thermometer, and an Aqua C Remora or Urchin.

Archived