inTank Media Baskets

New 40 long upgrade

sosalty

Upgrading my Fluval evo 13.5 to a 40 long. Got the tank from a lfs that had painted and predrilled it, but didn’t end up using it! $40 and it was mine!! Plan is for a mixed reef and to add a 20 long sump. Any advice as I go will be greatly appreciated!

82E8A3F4-D79F-48D2-8228-82D9F7D36AD3.jpeg

• Like 2

everything from the evo will eventually come over. right now it has about 10 pounds of real reef live rock,  blue damsel (which will live in my sump), a cleaner shrimp. and some nassarius snails, margarita snails, and hermits.  coral in the evo are some palys/zoas, a frogspawn, some Kenya trees, some mushrooms, and a birdsnest coral.  

plans for the new tank includes:

caribsea arag alive fiji pink sand x 40lbs

around 40 more pounds of live rock

MicMol smart led reef light (still debating on this one)

kedsum 770gph return pump 

sun sun 580gph wavemakers x 2

still debating on protein skimmer brand/size

no plans yet on fish for the new tank, but hoping to get a pair of nice clowns and an anemone down the road (im staying shy of them right now due to an outbreak of brooklynella in the evo). we do have several good lfs within an hour drive, so my possibilities there are endless. 

Some pics of the mess I had to scrape off the tank after purchase. It was going to be inset at the lfs so they painted sides, bottom, and back blue.  Took a good bit of scraping to remove the paint, but at least I have clear side glass now! 

CA7E4139-6029-4BCE-BDF7-0641E9528BA6.jpeg

4A83E46C-B147-490D-AC69-68C710E9229A.jpeg

DA504C11-16AF-4ACF-A04E-2EB307E72D49.jpeg

So I’m rethinking my lighting for this tank.... I have always been a fan of the cheap Chinese black box lights, so I’m starting to lean towards them. 

Also since I had the day off today me and the hubby decided to start some plumbing work on the tank..... then he decided he wanted to support the tank a little more by attaching the stand to the wall.... (the stand alone is 3ft tall) a single screw into the wall hit the only electrical wire supplying power to the sockets in the room- so now tank building has come to a halt, while we do some minor electrical repairs!

4C3C8915-6E2C-408F-AFF0-2EB78334FFA2.jpeg

C883D979-8D54-4023-BB9C-A836415C3075.jpeg

E38F9A47-A1A2-4938-BD8A-62C3F8C75EDF.jpeg

• Like 1

Got the saltwater in and the sand and base rock in. Will add some frozen fishfood tomorrow to get the cycle started. 

Ended up going with the fluval sea 3.0 led. Will see how it grows stuff and will upgrade if needed. 

20190220_194553_HDR.jpg

20190220_201639_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

What an awesome footprint this tank has!! Nice scape too! How long is this tank? Decided on a light yet? If you like the black boxes you should check out SB Reef lights. 

16 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

What an awesome footprint this tank has!! Nice scape too! How long is this tank? Decided on a light yet? If you like the black boxes you should check out SB Reef lights. 

Its 48" long. I like that it is semi shallow though! It has a fluval sea 3.0 led on it right now, but in thinking i will do a light upgrade down the road.