Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Retro Reef Tank

Wonderboy

I couldn't resist this setup; that and I have been notified of a fish somebody just ordered for me, so I needed a larger setup. This is a fellow hobbyist's build purchased from Craigslist (moving); just got it running today with some tweaks to the original setup. Jump started the bacteria as much as possible; live rock, live sand, chaeto/caulerpa, copepods, and some water from a few separate systems - also dosed isochrysis, starter bacteria and ammonia. Size is 68 G:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.98124ad1d98c2db65f01efa7c86dd1fd.jpg

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.d0bfff21c9f57a4101c3238ef45a2c99.JPG

IMG_1902.thumb.JPG.7acfd39e51fa06fc8f59fcf29f5ac739.JPG

IMG_1903.thumb.JPG.6ca9b361ca46b2af99bd2a4e18f0277b.JPG

• Like 3
On 2/12/2019 at 12:18 AM, Dantrasy said:

Great work. It should cycle super fast. 

What light is that? I think I see a tuning knob.

Thank you - that's what i am hoping

It is a Mars Aqua 300W 

IMG_1913.thumb.jpg.dc3ac4321831e60861f48301dd9ac0b7.jpg

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.7ea04d232a536d98ebae457cded6493e.jpg

IMG_1915.thumb.jpg.66cb8b52830ea9be52c7ddb56cca0c42.jpg

edit: I was thinking about running a sock in here becasue it was all set up for it (and came w/extras), but then was introduced to this setups fine characteristic of spewing out almost a gallon of foam from the top of the sock and so decided against any more socks. I made some type of PVC foam silencer after that (I don't know what to call it)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

FullSizeR.thumb.jpg.f3cf5fca064cd18130f9b11688250c11.jpg

-This was a generous gift

• Wow 3
  • 2 months later...
Wonderboy

While attacking some aptasia :sideeyes:, I figured I should pull the rock and re-scape things a little. Ended up adding a new rock - it's a real nice one; the colors really pop under the actinics 😆 I don't have to point it out at all cause it's pretty much the centerpiece of the tank right now. Oh yeah, I added some coral, too...   ...but they got nothin' on this rock.

IMG_2244.thumb.jpg.f8b379bed3ad4b4a5e12bfb75dfb9c7f.jpg

• Like 1

My phyto station light died just a little while ago. I always have back-up cultures in the fridge, so I broke the station entirely down for thorough sterilization. I've been getting phyto for all systems from this "emergency" culture I luckily set up a few weeks ago  👍

IMG_2837.thumb.jpg.2aac8fb39d518fca68d6615320cbb1cd.jpg

• Wow 1
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, it was quite surprising to say the least to hear about it when it was already on it's way, and I had not even a QT large enough for it ... it was very skinny upon arrival - she/he is now kind of fat and quite territorial :happy: still the only fish in there; it's been waiting for its future FOWLR system to be finished. As far as most aquariums that I've recently started up, yeah, most setups have been small ...ish (yet I'm still not finished working on most lol) - my past aquarium involvements have been rather broad over the past twenty something years.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yeah, it was quite surprising to say the least to hear about it when it was already on it's way, and I had not even a QT large enough for it ... it was very skinny upon arrival - she/he is now kind of fat and quite territorial :happy: still the only fish in there; it's been waiting for its future FOWLR system to be finished. As far as most aquariums that I've recently started up, yeah, most setups have been small ...ish (yet I'm still not finished working on most lol) - my past aquarium involvements have been rather broad over the past twenty something years.

Oooooo fish only systems are fun and pretty easy to maintain! 

What's your stocking list? 

• Like 1

So far I have the gem tang and a queen angel. I have been tossing a few other ideas around - some kind of eel maybe, lionfish is seeming likely, puffer (I've missed interacting with my porcupine once upon a time), but I'm still not entirely sure... for the most part I was preparing to be okay with adjusting my options based on circumstances or availability.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

Over-due update - this system was shut down long ago; ultimately, the gem tang jumped out behind the aquarium, don't know why, wasn't home. I never added anything else to it; I re-homed the angel.

• Sad 1