Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Heater Question

WhatsReef

3 minutes ago, WhatsReef said:

Is it okay if the top of a standard style heater is sticking out from the water a little bit? I'm talking basically just the top, plastic part.

Yes - there should be a minimum water level line on it. It's almost always an inch or so below the plastic part. Even if you are slightly below the minimum water line, it's not going to be a big deal as long as it isn't significant. If you are significantly below it, the top of the heater can get extremely hot and damage itself.

Edited to Add: I don't ever fully submerge my heaters and always keep the plastic part where the wire attaches out of the water and where you may also have the thermostat dial. I don't trust how well they are sealed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Yes - there should be a minimum water level line on it. It's almost always an inch or so below the plastic part. Even if you are slightly below the minimum water line, it's not going to be a big deal as long as it isn't significant. If you are significantly below it, the top of the heater can get extremely hot and damage itself. 

Awesome, thanks!