Coral Vue Hydros

Chipped Tank - Repair Opinions

- Jaffa -

What would be the course of action for a glass chip such as this one? I picked up this reefer 170, stand, pipework, sump, return, heater, and two wavemakers for a bargain at £80 (around $100)

Thank you in advance,

Cameron

received_2236585209938891.jpeg

received_380323419448179.jpeg

There is still a decent amount of glass there to support the seam.  I would probably just keep the waterline below the chip.  If you are concerned about getting cut, you could put a piece of tape (decorative sticker or badge) over it, or even get some extra fine sandpaper and ease the sharp edges (keeping in mind that the fine scratches will appear foggy on glass).

Sounds like a good deal.  If you have a 3D printer, you could print a little clip that covers it.

Edit: Oh I see there is an overflow, so you probably can't control the water level very much.  But it's probably still alright.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hotdrop said:

Nearly unloaded corner. Wouldn’t worry about it structurally but cosmetically ugly 

19 hours ago, seabass said:

There is still a decent amount of glass there to support the seam.  I would probably just keep the waterline below the chip.  If you are concerned about getting cut, you could put a piece of tape (decorative sticker or badge) over it, or even get some extra fine sandpaper and ease the sharp edges (keeping in mind that the fine scratches will appear foggy on glass).

Sounds like a good deal.  If you have a 3D printer, you could print a little clip that covers it.

Edit: Oh I see there is an overflow, so you probably can't control the water level very much.  But it's probably still alright.

Thanks for the opinions guys. For now I was planning on using it as a frag tank, then I think I'll just pay to get the pane replaced once I want to use it as a display as you're right about it being quite ugly

Just spit balling, but you could attempt to flood that corner with marine epoxy and buff it. It might look off, but it would be much less obvious if you're careful to avoid scratching the surrounding glass.

I'm not sure how well epoxy binds to glass, I assume you'd have to rough up the surface in order to form a good bond. It would have the added benefit of supporting the pane. Of course, you would also probably have to disassemble the tank, or at least craft a clever jig to contain the epoxy during the flood coat.

Edited to add: this product should be sufficient, or something similar.

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-epoxy/

• Like 1