Cultivated Reef

1 week into cycle - water parameters look ok?

s3pang

Hi everyone. Just got done with my first water change and water testing and looking for some direction. I’m 1 week into my new setup (Evo 13.5). I used all dry rock upon setup but used live sand and used premixed saltwater from LFS. Before I did my 25% water change, I tested the water to see where I’m at and found the following:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - between 2-5 ppm. 

Is it possible the cycle hasn’t started yet? Or could it have completed already? Note I have been using Seachem Stability following their initial setup directions (1 dose per day every day of first week). Appreciate any insight, thank you! 

There's a possibility that it is just starting out with the cycling. Usually when you use live rock, you'll see a period of "die off" occurring within your tank which will later become nitrifying bacteria, however with dry rock you don't have this going on and will need to introduce some ammonia in there to get things moving. Some people like to do the dead shrimp method (which isn't going to make your house smell the best in the world if you go this route) but if you aren't a fancier of that you can also put fish food in there since it will break down and cause an ammonia buildup. Typically the process for dry rocks to become live rocks can take two months, but every tank is different. I've attached a helpful video here to explain a little more of how the process works as well.

Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjtgaTLz0J8

33 minutes ago, ThatReefGirl said:

There's a possibility that it is just starting out with the cycling. Usually when you use live rock, you'll see a period of "die off" occurring within your tank which will later become nitrifying bacteria, however with dry rock you don't have this going on and will need to introduce some ammonia in there to get things moving. Some people like to do the dead shrimp method (which isn't going to make your house smell the best in the world if you go this route) but if you aren't a fancier of that you can also put fish food in there since it will break down and cause an ammonia buildup. Typically the process for dry rocks to become live rocks can take two months, but every tank is different. I've attached a helpful video here to explain a little more of how the process works as well.

Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjtgaTLz0J8

Thanks for this! This is honestly what I was thinking (that it hadn’t started yet) but I’m going to introduce some fish food into the tank as you said and see what happens. Will check it again next Sunday and see what it looks like 

• Like 1