Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nuvo Fusion 20 vs Fluval 13.5

Mackdee

Hello everyone, 

I was thinking about purchasing the Fluval 13.5 however it is my first tank and felt it would be easier to learn and maintain and learn with a 20g.

my goal is to learn about corals and have minimal fish (2 clown and a clean up crew), I want to start with live rock and sand but still not sure if this is the right thing to do as a first timer.

so now my question, Do I purchase the Nuvo kit that comes with  (2) SKKYE Lights Aquarium LEDs (single cycle) or just get the tank and purchase lighting separate?

Please keep in mind this would be my first tank.

I will continue to read and research, I just want to make sure i am not spending double.

Thanks in advance

I was considering getting a new Fluval 13.5 for a long time and decided getting the Nuvo 20 instead for a few reasons.  The filter is on the back and it is going up against a wall so the cords won't be hanging off the side.  It is considerably larger volume and has more options for filtration as your needs change.  I'm no expert on lighting, but everything I've read says to get other lighting.  I'm using a $60 Hipargero light from Amazon at the moment.  I will upgrade down the road as needed.

Skip the skyye light. They aren't powerful, poor spread. The one I had the clamp broke apart causing the light to crash into the tank chipping it...luckily it was empty at the time.

Both tanks are nice, both will need filter baskets and media.

The IM is made with thicker glass, larger, overall. 

43 minutes ago, Mackdee said:

Alright everyone, I pulled the trigger on the 20g and ordered some dry rock as well.

any recommendations for a great testing kit?

A lot of people mix and match since the testing kit companies have better kits for certain parameters than other. That being said, I like salifert's test kits. Some people still use API test kits, but in my experience it always reads a bit of ammonia even when there is none in freshly prepared salt water.