Pod Your Reef

Ever considered a FIRST chamber biocube basket?

Mazzy21

I guess this is more a request or suggestion than a question.

I love my (Oceanic) Biocube InTank media basket, but it does limit my ability to really take advantage of the single truly versatile space in the biocube. Given that the first chamber in the biocube barely holds any of the most popular skimmers (so many have to be housed in chamber 2), why the decision to make the media basket for Chamber 2 instead of Chamber 1? Is it because the heater really needs to be housed in chamber 1 for the safety of the constant water level or was Chamber 1 just not considered?

I would love to see a chamber 1 media basket version. Preferably one thin enough to still accommodate a small heater behind it for reason stated.

I don’t think it would work properly. It is designed as a gravity fed device. Water overflows from chamber one into the media basket, the basket fills and kind of siphons the water down out of the bottom due to water weight in the top. The media basket doesn’t actually work properly if you have the water level too high in the second chamber either and considering the water level is always at the top of the first chamber, water would just come through the overflow teeth of the back wall and pass right over the media basket if it was in chamber one. This is the same as if you have filter floss in the top of the basket and let it get gunked up. There isn’t enough free flowing water that can be forced through be gravity and the basket just overflows.  

• Like 2

The Biocube that I have is a 32 and believe it or not I managed to cram a skimmer and a heater in that space. The new Uv skimmers that go in that space look interesting and might be usefull in your case if your looking for more filtration.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:40 AM, Mazzy21 said:

I guess this is more a request or suggestion than a question.

I love my (Oceanic) Biocube InTank media basket, but it does limit my ability to really take advantage of the single truly versatile space in the biocube. Given that the first chamber in the biocube barely holds any of the most popular skimmers (so many have to be housed in chamber 2), why the decision to make the media basket for Chamber 2 instead of Chamber 1? Is it because the heater really needs to be housed in chamber 1 for the safety of the constant water level or was Chamber 1 just not considered?

I would love to see a chamber 1 media basket version. Preferably one thin enough to still accommodate a small heater behind it for reason stated.

With the dual intakes and water moving from the bottom to the top it would make for really bad Media Basket performance compared to what we produce now.  The water entering the top intake wouldn't even go through any media or floss as it just passes over.

Heater can go in chamber three if needed.  The Tunze 9001 is a great skimmer and works well next to our Media Basket in chamber two.

Thank you for the replies, and for explaining Steve.

I was thinking more a vertical design to deal with the two sets of slats and still make water flow correctly through all media: like a skinny, "1st (media) chamber" length-wise, the height of the entire cube chamber and only about 1" thick for floss, with a solid backing and the opening at the bottom to force flow upward into all the rest of the chambers, creating an inverse basket to overflow into cube chamber 2. 

But ultimately that's pretty specialized I realize now. In my perfect vision the basket would be a totally vertical design so the first section would be the 1" all floss, and the second would be 1ish" where the water would flow through media bags also positioned vertically, making it thin enough for a heater to fit behind it. But I would never expect something to be made that was some perfect vision just for my tank. lol Was just curious about the idea of various chamber positions and if you had kicked that around at all.

Thanks for the suggestion @luckie1966. I will check those out. I am considering putting a skimmer back in (was looking at ReefGlass).