Cultivated Reef

IceCap K2-50 Yea or Nay?

choconut74

Hello all! First post here on NR 🙂

Was just hoping for any input/advice/experience regarding the IceCap K2 50 skimmer. I'm starting up an ADA 60f (around 8 gal) along with a custom sump (another 10 gal) and want to get a decent skimmer. Will be moving most of the equipment from an old tank I have to the 60f. Everything about this tank: 

Stocking: 1 x Frostbite clown, 1 x Nearly Naked clown (idek if this is right) - These guys have been in a 7gal cube now for more than a year, so just changing tanks because I love the shallow ADA

Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.5

Overflow: Glass Holes Super Nano Con Dientes

Return: Glass Holes 0.5" Return

Plumbing: in the process of getting some colored PVC 🙂 🙂 🙂

Wavemaker: Sicce Voyager 270GPH

Light: AI Prime HD

I also attached a picture of the current tank the nemos are in. Light is from amazon and am just using an eheim canister filter.

I've read up on some other threads and it seems to me that people generally like the icecap.

With that said, I'm super open to considering other skimmers. What I've also considered are:

BM NAC 3.5

Reef Octopus BH-50

However, I'm afraid that if the skimmer is TOO overkill for a tank my size, then the collection might be poor? 

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!!! 🙂 And thank you so much to all of you as I've learned so much from reading dozens of threads. I hope to make another thread documenting the process too.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

IMG_4052.JPG

I’m using a k2-50 on my 30 gallon, skins like a champ the only complaint I have is the nylon screws that have to be removed for cleaning the inside of the skimmer ...too small to get a hold of and the threads are so fine...just an inconvenience....skimmer runs great!!

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Privateer said:

I’m using a k2-50 on my 30 gallon, skins like a champ the only complaint I have is the nylon screws that have to be removed for cleaning the inside of the skimmer ...too small to get a hold of and the threads are so fine...just an inconvenience....skimmer runs great!!

Thanks so much for the input! Glad to hear it's working well for you. Does it run quiet? Will have the tank in the bedroom 🙂

I have been using this skimmer for a while and does well but it was on my 35cube now my 40b. I would never use it  on a tank that small. You might never produce anything or strip things to fast. I’d would get the aquatic life 115. Save a lot of money and wouldn’t be as much of an overkill. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 05XRunner said:

I have been using this skimmer for a while and does well but it was on my 35cube now my 40b. I would never use it  on a tank that small. You might never produce anything or strip things to fast. I’d would get the aquatic life 115. Save a lot of money and wouldn’t be as much of an overkill. 

Just realized what size tank he had...I’d agree k2-50 is overkill....it does run quiet though if anyone else is interested 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JR! said:

id go with something smaller. that thing is waaaaay overkill

Thanks a lot for the input! Would you have any recommendations? It would be great if I could hypothetically upgrade to a bigger tank in the future and still keep the same skimmer.

2 hours ago, Privateer said:

Just realized what size tank he had...I’d agree k2-50 is overkill....it does run quiet though if anyone else is interested 

Thanks for the advice and the info. Nice to hear it's quiet though. Wish I had a bigger tank for it now 😂

4 hours ago, 05XRunner said:

Okay, gotcha - thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I'll check out the aquatic life 115 right now.

7 minutes ago, choconut74 said:

Thanks a lot for the input! Would you have any recommendations? It would be great if I could hypothetically upgrade to a bigger tank in the future and still keep the same skimmer.

https://www.marinedepot.com/NUVOSkim_DC_Protein_Skimmer_Midsize_AUQA_Gadget_Innovative_Marine_Protein_Skimmers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums_Reefs_Nano_Skimmer-Innovative_Marine-0I7059-FIPSNS-vi.html

these are great

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, JR! said:

That looks awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Just watched the marine depot video about it. So many choices 😓 Funny how all these smaller skimmers are as expensive or more expensive than some larger ones.

9 minutes ago, JR! said:

looks decent

Thanks for that. Did a little more looking around and some of the mixed reviews are scaring me lol. CAD lights looks more solid but it is almost 2x the price. It is a one-time purchase though. Need to think this one over 🤔 Really appreciate the help and advice!

• 3 weeks later...