Pod Your Reef

Hotdrop's 20G Red Sea Nano Max

hotdrop

Picked up a used Red Sea Nano Max a couple days ago. Fair Condition - with light and stand for $500. I negotiated it down to 550 but then the guy didnt clean it and the stand had some bubbling in the top corner shelf and isn't level so I got another 50 off probably should have asked for more but it was cold as heck and the snow was coming down.  The guy claimed the AI prime kept shitting down I reset it and updated the firmware and so far everything seems to be working fine. 

315982327_IMG_2425(2).thumb.JPG.f76a4b055eabf81ccd10a36446eba59a.JPG

First order of business is to clean everything. Then flatten the stand top, put a piece of granite tile on as well to prevent stress on the glass as I'm sure the MDF will continue to move and warp.  

IMG_2428.thumb.JPG.edf454f4fe6ad4a1a9bf15a74802df79.JPG

Also picked up some live rock for $20 , unfortunately said rock  is infested with Aptasia so it needs to be bleached or tossed. Bummer but cheap lesson learned

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.ffb3345f29b3b5218b0e9eaf2b028aa5.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the unobtainable filter socks im all ears. Its an odd size 1.75, maybe someone sells a tube i can convert into a filter basket. I've thought about cutting out the plastic bit and just hanging a media rack back there

IMG_2431.thumb.JPG.35c43ed75cb692568e2a9a9456315e42.JPG

Oh man, aphtasia. =(  I've had the same happen a long time ago when I first started out and I ended up bleaching it to be on the safe side. You live and learn though.

Hmm, I can't think of anywhere off hand that would have socks that size, but I did find a video that shows how to make your own if you decide to go that route. It might be worth looking into if you can't find any at a fish shop or online. 

Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY2cMzmnfzI

36 minutes ago, ThatReefGirl said:

Oh man, aphtasia. =(  I've had the same happen a long time ago when I first started out and I ended up bleaching it to be on the safe side. You live and learn though.

Hmm, I can't think of anywhere off hand that would have socks that size, but I did find a video that shows how to make your own if you decide to go that route. It might be worth looking into if you can't find any at a fish shop or online. 

Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY2cMzmnfzI

Thanks for the suggestions I ended up trashing the tank and stand unfortunately. I must of been totally sleep deprived because I missed some huge scratches on it and the stand was partially rotten. Major bummer but what can you do. 

A good thing that stand didn't give out!  That's very true, still, I'm sorry you had to get right of it. It's never a good day when you have to break down an aquarium =(

I also chipped the stupid tank when I was taking pictures to list it on cL oh well, wasn’t worth much anyway.

Yeah I could have made the stand work but no idea how long it would have lasted before catastrophic failure. Not worth the risk. Wife says I was being too cheap buying used she’s probably right. Salt water and sand are both super rough on used equipment. 

Cheap isn't always better with saltwater sadly. It'd be nice if it was though, especially with filters and live rock. I had a used filter that I was trying to refurbish about three months back and we'll just say that it is an experiment that will never see the light of day since the saltwater in the bucket fried it after about three hours. It was worth a try, but my husband banned me from doing that again. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:14 PM, hotdrop said:

Picked up a used Red Sea Nano Max a couple days ago. Fair Condition - with light and stand for $500. I negotiated it down to 550 but then the guy didnt clean it and the stand had some bubbling in the top corner shelf and isn't level so I got another 50 off probably should have asked for more but it was cold as heck and the snow was coming down.  The guy claimed the AI prime kept shitting down I reset it and updated the firmware and so far everything seems to be working fine. 

First order of business is to clean everything. Then flatten the stand top, put a piece of granite tile on as well to prevent stress on the glass as I'm sure the MDF will continue to move and warp.  

Also picked up some live rock for $20 , unfortunately said rock  is infested with Aptasia so it needs to be bleached or tossed. Bummer but cheap lesson learned

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the unobtainable filter socks im all ears. Its an odd size 1.75, maybe someone sells a tube i can convert into a filter basket. I've thought about cutting out the plastic bit and just hanging a media rack back there

On 2/8/2019 at 11:14 PM, hotdrop said:

You can buy the filter socks here https://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Max_Nano_Thin_Mesh_Filter_Bag_100_Micron_(2_units)_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Red_Sea-RS5817-FIFMME-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=RS5817&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7oa2mL7I4AIVQ5NpCh2eVQHSEAQYAiABEgIxf_D_BwE