mccarrick

Could my clowns have eaten my fire goby?

Hey all,

I have a 16 gallon biocube with 2 ocellaris, zebra hermit, and a green emerald crab. I added a fire goby last week and he was doing really well, it took awhile for him to come out so I could feed him but yesterday he was doing especially well. The clowns chase him a little bit bit I hadn't seen anything really terrible. Today I found it at the bottom with almost half of it missing, it's spine was showing. It was still alive, shockingly. I had to end it's suffering unfortunately. Any clues as to what may have happened? I have 2 powerheads but I don't see how it could have possibly got stuck in it. When I first got into the hobby a few years ago I was reading that it would be fine to keep the three fish in a tank that size but I've  been doing a lot of reading the last few days and it seems that some people say that it's okay but some say that it's overstocked. Suggestions? 

You will probably never know for sure. Most people recommend putting the most peaceful or timid fish in a tank first so they can establish their territory. Unfortunately clown fish grow to be very territorial and bully's. Fire-fish are very peaceful. Sometimes rearranging the aquascape before putting in the new fish helps because the previous territory no longer exists. Other wise you may need to consider a less peaceful fish that can hold it's own with clowns.