ReefCleaners.org

AiO or dedicated sump?

Friendly

as I'm seeing it now, the only benefit for the AiO is convenience. they cost more than regular tanks, so savings will not really even out when you add the extra bits for the sump and plumbing. you have to clean the AiO just the same as the sump, so maintenance isn't really going to be all that different. the sump will take more time to install, but that comes with the benefit of more water volume meaning better environment stability.

so in the end, with that limited overview above, it comes down to my fear of a plumbing failure and a leak occurring.

for you others that weighed the pros/cons of an AiO vs. sump, what and why did you decide the way you did? and lastly...did you regret that decision at all?

So, I got an AIO over a cube with a sump because I was planned on having the tank on my desk. I realized I have the attention span of a goldfish, so I built a stand for it to put it somewhere else. Back when it was on my desk, the AIO was perfect. Now, it is the only downfall. The AIO sump chambers are small, so you have to get creative when you want to do a skimmer, reactor, ATO, etc. Also, trying to clean it is damn near impossible.

To me, I would always suggest sump if you can, but I can see how an AIO can make more sense in some applications.

I have had both some and AIO's. I went AIO this time around to make the tank silent and simple and was sick of keeping sumps and fuges clean after years of that. 

Sump can house bigger skimmer and fuge, it can be made to look cleaner since everything is hidden. It can also be more noisy since water draining can cause noise, bigger pumps, bigger skimmers ect are more noise. Quality of equipment and proper plumbing will have a big impact here. 

AIO was always easier to clean for me... you have gravity and just suck the crap out and a quick wipe with a paper towel. Sump I had to get down on the floor with a pump or a vac to really get it clean. I have girly hands though so I have no issues cleaning the back of an AIO. Your mileage may vary. 

Stability was never a difference for me so I didn't consider that. I find smaller tank volumes actually easier to work with since I don't need to mix/change much for water. You can find many successful tanks with AIO or sump. 

I am setting up a sump for the frag tank since I want to put the live rock/biological filtration in the sump and save the DT for frag racks.

I honestly don't think it makes any difference which way you go in terms of success. Just pick which type of setup you prefer. 

yes, some do have cramped chambers...however, skimmers, etc, aren't always necessary...WV Reefer's long & dirties are perfect examples and following her footsteps is my goal.

heck, the recent thread by cathy with her 10 gallon Bayshore HoW (Hang on Wall) aquarium is another good example. all she has in it is a chintzy internal filter and has had amazing success!  😄