EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Tamberav is a she......not he    😊

I know that, I don’t know how I keep forgetting that😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I did finally get a new fish bc my tank has been pretty good and stable lately. I got a juvenile black leopard wrasse. He is young right now and when I upgrade my tank he will be moved to that tank.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Um...you don't even have a lid do you?

I do have a lid, but I keep it off the tank bc of salt creep

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

Without a lid that wrasse has no chance. They’re major jumpers. You need something to keep it in the tank. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, NaturallyKait said:

Without a lid that wrasse has no chance. They’re major jumpers. You need something to keep it in the tank. 

Ok, I’ll start putting my lid on my tank. Thank you for the information, I had no idea that they were known for jumping. I know that they like a thick sand bed, but I did not know that. I think that he will be the main attraction for my tank. He really draws the eye. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, I’ll start putting my lid on my tank. Thank you for the information, I had no idea that they were known for jumping. I know that they like a thick sand bed, but I did not know that. I think that he will be the main attraction for my tank. He really draws the eye. 

Wrasses in general are jumpers, so are gobies. I’m sure there are other types known for jumping but I know those two groups for sure. And any fish will jump if they’re spooked. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Did you not do any research? It would have told you they jump.

Was it already eating frozen at the LFS? I hope?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yes I did do some research, but I did not see that they jump. And yes I did ask the lfs what it was eating. They said that it was eating a mix of frozen brine shrimp and flake food

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes I did do some research, but I did not see that they jump. And yes I did ask the lfs what it was eating. They said that it was eating a mix of frozen brine shrimp and flake food

You should ask them to feed before you buy so you can see it. Also brine shrimp and flake.. yuck. Be sure to feed it something better. 

I have a leopard in my 25g and I will be honest, it's too small even for a baby. They are active and can even be spastic, so the reality is... you already need an upgrade right now which is costly. I have been thinking about getting an 80g on black friday even though my husband won't be happy LOL.

Also they are prone to flukes and internal parasites which can make them waste away over time. I treated mine in a QT tank before going into the DT. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I did finally get a new fish bc my tank has been pretty good and stable lately. I got a juvenile black leopard wrasse. He is young right now and when I upgrade my tank he will be moved to that tank.

That's a really cool looking fish. If you're worried about salt creep on the lid have you looked at a screening option?

I think you might want that upgrade now though

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That's a really cool looking fish. If you're worried about salt creep on the lid have you looked at a screening option?

I think you might want that upgrade now though

I’ll see if my lfs happens to have one in stock. I do not have a quarantine set up, so I put him straight into the tank. After acclimating him into the tank of course. He immediately went and dove into the sand bed

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I put the wrasse into the tank yesterday evening when I got home. He immediately dove into the sand bed. I have not seen him since? Is this normal? Is he just try to get used to a new place? 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Tamberav said:

LOL haven't you been here the whole thread? Research is almost never done. Everyone here just feeds him the info instead. 

Sorry... Just tired of seeing "I didn't know" 👀 

10 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I put the wrasse into the tank yesterday evening when I got home. He immediately dove into the sand bed. I have not seen him since? Is this normal? Is he just try to get used to a new place? 

Leopard wrasse 101 dude... They're flat so they go in the sand bed. My advice. Return him. 

Also whatever happened to that puffer your dad got you? 

30 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You may not see him for weeks... they sometimes hide for long periods. Live Aquaria labels them as expert only as they can be difficult to get started on foods and acclimated. Then they tend to have parasites so it is a crap shoot if this fish will survive or not. 

Check at night and early before the lights come on so see if it is out. Their days and nights get screwed up. 

Whatever you do... don't go looking for him in the sand. That would seriously be stressful. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You may not see him for weeks... they sometimes hide for long periods. Live Aquaria labels them as expert only as they can be difficult to get started on foods and acclimated. Then they tend to have parasites so it is a crap shoot if this fish will survive or not. 

Check at night and early before the lights come on so see if it is out. Their days and nights get screwed up. 

Whatever you do... don't go looking for him in the sand. That would seriously be stressful. 

Ok thanks

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Matteo said:

Leopard wrasse 101 dude... They're flat so they go in the sand bed. My advice. Return him. 

Also whatever happened to that puffer your dad got you? 

Also, Matteo, I have been doing a lot of research lately, but the leopard wrasse was a kinda get or don’t get then and there kinda deal. And things have been going really good for my tank lately. Everything looks really good. So I thought that one more fish wouldn’t hurt. The puffer was a different story. I figured out that my carpet ate him. He moved too slow and the carpet got him. I felt horrible. I was literally gonna give him to my lfs the next day

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The wrasse has come out today! Should I attempt to feed him yet, or wait until he gets more used to everything?

32EEB2AA-650D-44C3-A5CB-970F395793E8.jpeg

• Like 1

I would feed her. It's not like you will have enough pods. That isn't a black leopard wrasse... Just a normal one looks like.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I would feed her. It's not like you will have enough pods. That isn't a black leopard wrasse... Just a normal one looks like.

Oh, they sold it to me as a black leopard wrasse. Is this good news or bad news?

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I actually have a ton of pods. Nothing in my tank eats them really. I take a close look at my glass and I see a million of them.

• Like 1

It's good news because this one is easier to care for .....bad news if they charged you black leopard wrasse price...cuz then you overpayed.

The pods won't last now...lol just try and feed. You have to get it on GOOD frozen foods. LRS would be my top choice. 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
13 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The wrasse has come out today! Should I attempt to feed him yet, or wait until he gets more used to everything?

32EEB2AA-650D-44C3-A5CB-970F395793E8.jpeg

I'm jealous! I've been trying to get a healthy leopard since the beginning of this year, but no luck.

I had an amazing Ornate Leopard male last year but I lost him when Ich wiped out my nano. 

Make sure you get your female weaned onto frozen + pellets as soon as possible. These guys are listed as 'expert' care because they usually have a difficult time adapting and eating in an aquarium. Pods alone won't be enough. Wish you all the best with your new addition! 🙂

• Like 1