ReefCleaners.org

Hi everyone!

Tigersaintreef

Tigersaintreef

Just started cycling a 10 gallon setup! Goal is a basic soft coral tank, maybe with a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Running a moded aquaclear 70 with the hipargero aquaknight a029. Also have the hydor 240gph powerhead.

Might be having one issue or two. My thermometer is giving me a reading of  86 degrees despite my heater being set on 80. 

1. i may have bought a crap digital thermometer

2. My heater may not be properly calibrated from the factory. Its a 50watt aqueon. 

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot which one is right or wrong? 

15495840441945050663028850015584.jpg

Welcome to nano reef! 86 is very high and I generally like my tank at ~76. It is possible that your heater is faulty or your house is hot. Either way, I would decrease the temperature on the heater and see if the tank cools. Good luck. 

Tigersaintreef

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I just dropped the temperature on the heater and ill see how the tank reacts over the next day.

I'm in louisiana and I'm actually running my air conditioner (not an uncommon thing for february here) and keeping my air temp at 70. 

Tigersaintreef
10 minutes ago, patback said:

I'd get a second thermometer to double check it.  Some heaters are off on their scale.  Some thermometers are also off.

I'm going to get an infrared imager from work and see if i can get a surface water temperature from it. 

Hello and welcome

Is the tank open top or is there a glass cover?

Is the 1 powerhead the only water movement in the tank?

For temp could be bad digital thermometer(i usually double check with the glass thermometer)

Temp may just need to be lowered on heater

Could be a bad heater. My first 2 regular aqueon's couldn't maintain proper temp but the aqueon pro is spot on. 

Getting a heater control is highly recommended. The inkbird is a nice affordable option.