ReefCleaners.org

Cobalt Heaters

Chicago Nano Guy

Chicago Nano Guy

Can I get a review from an SPS reefer about these Cobalt thermo heaters, my tank is in my basement and the temp can swing sometimes on cold nights so I need some thing very reliable and can keep the temp steady, Im putting this in a WaterBox 20 , was thinking of going with the 150w I think it is large enough and powerful enough to quickly heat the tank without a lag during ambient air temperature fluctuations . Thanks in advance 

Chi

I have my QT tanks in the basement and use Jager heaters on inkbird controllers to keep temp stable.

Cobalt works nice out of the box to keep temp 0.5 degrees but they seem to fail on me more often, stop working or suddenly causing temp swings so I use them to mix my salt now.

Some people have had them explode, even newer ones which sucks to clean up.

Too bad because I love them otherwise, nice skinny form factor. 

I use an 50w eheim jagger in my10g, it won't fit in my 25g back chamber so I use the 75w cobalt in there, in 5.5g I use 25e aqueon pro.

They have all worked pretty well the same. I use an inkbird on the 25g and 10g.

My ambient room temp is 72 in winter, tanks all 78-79.

Most heaters will do about 10 degrees above room temp, they usually document that in the description

Certain models and the year of manufacturing of cobalts have exploded. That being said, all brands have had their issues with malfunctions, exploding, cracking, over heating, and simply not working.

Thrassian Atoll

I use a 75watt neotherm in my 25g.  It holds the temp well.  But, my first took a dump on me after 6 months and my new one clicks every time it turns on and off.  Pretty annoying when using it with an apex. 

Chicago Nano Guy

Thanks for the input, I am a minimalist and since the tank is an AIO the less wires the better better so I was trying to get away from using a controller since everything is going bluetooth and  its less cords and equipment. I am in the process of collecting my equipment and I'm not cutting any corners , WaterBox 20 , upgrade tunzes pump, AI Hydra26HD , AI Nero5, so heater and OTA is all that's left, and since I do 25% water changes every two weeks. I think I can I can get away with testing parameters once a week between water changes. Anyone thanks for the info  

CHI

Chicago Nano Guy

Yea after doing a little home work I went with the 150W Cobalt has  it rated for up to 40 gallons with it being able to keep up with 11 degree ambient temperature difference , so I figure double that by putting it in a 20gal. ..not really double but should help to stay at temp 77  without working so hard and pushing it which may or may not cause malfunction but like you said I've had multiple glass heaters shatter as well  

Thanks for the help I have a build thread going so will make sure to give an update ..