brianinak

Kalk water, did work for you?

I am struggling with maintaining steady Alkalinity and Ca.  I have been dosing manually with Red Sea Foundation KH and Ca.  It is working, but not as stable as I wish.  Been reading on Kalk with ATO method.   Looking for peoples experience with Kalk or how you manage your Alkalinity and Ca

I started kalk in my IM 25g few weeks ago, slowly raised how much I was putting in the ATO until it roughly matched the tanks usage in 24/hours. Can't say I have any issues with it. It works? No change in corals, just saves me from hand dosing. 

I just add it to the ATO water, stir for a few seconds, let it sit with the ATO pump 2 inches off the bottom for a few hours so it can settle... and done.

I use a Tunze 3155

• Like 1

I used it years ago. I don't really remember it besides having to mix it. 

I now use esv bionic 2 part. I like the liquid, works well.

I'm using it because my tanks only consuming about .2dkh a day and 2 part would be over complicating things. It's stable imo, with no more than a .2 or .3 deviation within 24 hours. And usually not even that. 

Its cheap, simple and effective so I'll probably stick with it until kalk can't keep up with demand. Which is still a ways away for me obviously. 

I mix mine up in the make up water with a small pump and it's working fine for us at home and the shop.

I use it all the time except when I'm not due to laziness or leaving the tank on cruise control.

You can usually see increased coralline production fairly quickly when running it. A good indicator of conditions IMO.

• Like 2

I just implemented this evening.  So far Ph spike with 0.2.  Look forward to testing over past several days.  

I did it for a good while. was using the lowest mix of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in my 5g top off. it kept my alk and calcium pretty much on target of what i wanted till i got dosers and started doing that way. but it worked great for the few months i used it that way