Coral Vue Hydros

Spec-tacular Fluval spec v

ronix

170033BC-65A9-4EA4-BEA8-7A90E74573A2.thumb.jpeg.a1645de18e591ed4f84d39e8bbb348b1.jpeg

Hey Guys,

I got the itch so I am back with another build, I wanted to stay small, almost went with the 3 gallon spec, but i like the layout of the 5 gallon more, so here we are. 

Equipment

Fluval Spec V 5 gallon 

Kessil A150W LED light

Upgraded Colbalt 606 pump

50 watt marine land heater

AQ Aqua duetto ATO

Live stock

2 Trochus snails

1 turbo snail

1 black hermit crab

1 nassurus snail

coals

purple death paly

orange oxide zoas

sunny d zoas

unknown red zoas 

Pineapple Express zoas

scrambled egg zoas 

Rasta zoas 

eagle eye zoas

radio active dragon eye zoa

green frogspawn

purple torch 

pulsing xenia

GSP

greeb birds nest

red monti cap

I may add a few pom pom crabs, anemone crab, orrrrrr a mantis shrimp!

With a mantis I could drop in a few hermits and keep him fed for a month, i hope.

24C69CB6-FBCF-4D78-B4E3-AEB8BCD90158.thumb.jpeg.aae7cc1b1b36fe9d22c7518ef472b47a.jpeg

98A57299-729C-4BEB-B7CE-FCCE9A092D40.thumb.jpeg.231ee00bf95b42832ef90f5adafe306f.jpeg

DFA7390F-2619-460B-8A56-C9D23B3C4B26.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi! Good luck with the new Spec V! I like the Spec tanks for freshwater, but haven't tried one for saltwater yet. Could I please ask, is the new return pump and Kessil A150 the only modifications from the stock Spec? What are you running in the filter section?

Thank you for your help!

-D

I don't think you can keep anything with a Mantis...it requires a species only tank. tank inhabitants will eventually become a meal...

I do like the rockscape though. where did you get the big one with the holes/rings through it?

No it would become a mantis only tank, and well a few hermit crab friends errr meals. 

I go lucky and dug that rock out of my LFS live rock tank, as soon as saw it i knew it would make for a cool rockscape!

2 hours ago, ronix said:

yup that's it. In the filter side all I plan to run is some filter floss and carbon. 

Nice and simple, cool! Will you be using the stock foam block thing, or just stuffing floss in the back?

Thanks again!

-D

5 hours ago, Friendly said:

youll be told to drop the foam n swap it for filter floss.

^This is what I was thinking. Anyway, looks great so far, and I wish you luck! I'll be tagging along to see how you make out. Thank you for addressing my questions!

-Detritus

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

Ronix...I want that rock. you have to contact me if you ever change your scape or break the tank down...you're sending it to me!  😄

Haha okay, I will keep you in mind. It might be covered in corals by then 😄

So I ordered myself a Aqua Duetto ATO system, looks super slick and will easily fit in the back of this tank. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/XP_Aqua_Duetto_Dual_Sensor_Complete_Aquarium_Auto_Top_Off_ATO_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-XP_Aqua-0X1832-FIDPAT-vi.html

I also have added a handful of zoa frags, maybe a bit early but  got bored, pics to come!

I added a clean up crew as well

2  trochus snails

1 small turbo snail

1 black hermit crab

I added Chemi pure elite and filter floss to my filtration, I think this is all I will run. I am running this off of tap water for now (fingers crossed) so I am hoping the chemi pure helps make this work for me. 

• Like 1

^ Just a thought, but if you don't have an RODI yet, you could use gallons of distilled water to top up and for water changes. It's more expensive than having an RODI system, but at less than a dollar/gallon, it's reasonably affordable for a smaller tank. Just a suggestion, hope that helps. 

Good luck with the build!

-D

• Like 1

So far I have handed for zoas

rastas

scrambled eggs

orange oxide

sunny d

pineapple express

unknkown red

purple death Paly

the rock with the holes will become zoa island, the other one im going to cover with gsp and some frogspawn. Everything is looking good. 

E703E4C4-AD97-4DA6-9312-11FA2E2226A8.jpeg

127CCDC7-27CD-407D-8640-AC9F7E9C2EE5.jpeg

• Like 1

Everything in the tank has been looking great. Added some gsp, frogspawn and Xenia. Not sure what’s next, thinking I might add some Pom Pom crabs for entertainment. 

Not sure if I like the gsp on top of the rock but I’ll give it a few days 

i also set up the aqua Xp Duetto ATO system and it’s been great. Awesome system! 

I have also decided to order an RO/DI system, no problems with tap water yet but I decided I don’t want to chance it. 

13C489A8-9A01-4744-AC2E-C7396B974805.jpeg

30C4DDDA-7AE6-4175-BF88-941C934E63E6.jpeg

30CCDF10-6AD7-4D96-9457-B4334A87B909.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks! Now to wait for everything to grow, and resist the urge to add fish. Doing a water change today and then I want to try letting it just run for a month without any maintenance other then the ATO.  

• Like 1

Took some better pics today, the torch has just exploded in size! I added some radio active dragon eye zoas and eagle eye zoas. Some faster growers to help fill in. 

The birds nest and red mint I cap were freebies so I guess I’ll see how sps does with this set up. I never planned on having any sps.....

4520644B-6E44-49CF-86E1-ECAB870E8ACB.jpeg

6236A9E7-86B5-4FC0-B658-4BE62F23F894.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I decided to try a hydro flow, I hear they don’t last long but I wanted to mix up the flow in the tank. It’s a bit big for this tank but the corals love it! The torch and frogspawn are getting way bigger!

BE51FB08-1130-47E2-960F-CABBFC185D38.jpeg

On 2/13/2019 at 5:24 AM, Detritus said:

^ Just a thought, but if you don't have an RODI yet, you could use gallons of distilled water to top up and for water changes. It's more expensive than having an RODI system, but at less than a dollar/gallon, it's reasonably affordable for a smaller tank. Just a suggestion, hope that helps. 

Good luck with the build!

-D

Great advice!!!!! IMO, since the tank is only 5 gallons it's a no brainer. But, people are going to do whatever they want. You "might" get away with it in a fish only tank, but a Reef Tank? Well see, I hope it all goes well.