cathy

hi everyone

26 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks like the rock is Caribsea Liferock, possibly from their Shapes collection... My rock in my tanks is also Liferock which I bought as live rock in pieces from my LFS. I find mine to be very resistant to algae. 

These little guys are always on the rocks chomping away. maybe that helps. I took pics of them. you have to look closely. one of the rocks has 3 on it. I think I have 6 in my tank. 

would you know what kind of coral I have?

1ABD6324-9B04-4609-B124-09A6B8A9456A.jpeg

D73FBEAE-4365-4699-9E4E-D5859EDCD3A8.jpeg

A18A2E61-120F-4792-B291-81228B247F11.jpeg

60EC677C-D6B9-48FD-B9CA-390DF58B9193.jpeg

Looks like you have a feather duster and a sponge... pretty!

28 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks like you have a feather duster and a sponge... pretty!

ok thanks!! I knew the feather duster, didn’t know the orange one. I just remember him saying it can never ever hit the air. 

when those little crabs go in the feather duster he closed up. sometimes it’ll even tip over and I have to knock them off and stand the duster back up. 

• Like 1

hey cathy, thank you very much for explaining everything. you may want to edit your first post and compile all this information for people so they know all that when they start jumping through the pages of info. 😉

now that said, you may want to consider changing a few things for the filter:

1- change the sponge to filter floss. sponges absorb a lot of crud and if ignored can make things worse. the floss needs to be changed at least once a week...but it's disposed of, not rinsed and reused. at least, I don't recall reading about anyone so thrifty they rinse and reuse. 😉

2 - the bag thingy is full of carbon. that needs to be changed entirely from time to time. it eventually wears out. this takes smells and tastes out of the water and helps keep the water clear, so it doesn't take on a musty color like water can when it gets old.

but so very cool!!! 😄

11 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey cathy, thank you very much for explaining everything. you may want to edit your first post and compile all this information for people so they know all that when they start jumping through the pages of info. 😉

now that said, you may want to consider changing a few things for the filter:

1- change the sponge to filter floss. sponges absorb a lot of crud and if ignored can make things worse. the floss needs to be changed at least once a week...but it's disposed of, not rinsed and reused. at least, I don't recall reading about anyone so thrifty they rinse and reuse. 😉

2 - the bag thingy is full of carbon. that needs to be changed entirely from time to time. it eventually wears out. this takes smells and tastes out of the water and helps keep the water clear, so it doesn't take on a musty color like water can when it gets old.

but so very cool!!! 😄

oh wow ok so I need filter floss.  should I throw them out weekly? and should I do both at once or alternate? soooo much better than to have to clean. 

the carbon bags. ha ha didn’t know. thank you.

how long do u think they last? 

I’d like to buy all this saturday, do I go to lfs or buy online? do they come in sizes? 

thank you so so much. 

editing my post..... 

ok ill try and do that tonight. I had no idea anyone was going to ask me anything. I thought I’d get boo’d off for not setting my tank up responsibly. 

so glad I found this site. 

oh and how long before I have to rehome the anemone and yellow wrasse. sure will miss them. but can probably just get them again only smaller 

Those sponges are likely a significant component of her bio-filter, which is why the practice of cleaning them out on an alternating schedule is prudent.  I would not recommend replacing them with disposable filter floss.

The carbon, on the other hand, isn't doing much at this point and can be replaced.

the filter floss needs to be changed weekly at most...some, depending on things, change it every few days. however, because your aquarium is sealed, weekly is fine. if you see that it's not too bad, try bi-weekly.

the carbon, that usually lasts for several months. an indicator that carbon needs to be changed is if the water takes on a tint...it's not crystal clear. that said, if your aquarium isn't using low iron glass, it will already have a bit of a tint to it, so don't mistake that as a sign to change the carbon.

there are also two ways to go about the carbon...one is pre-manufactured packs that come with several in a box and the other is a custom bag with a zip string that lets you buy loose carbon. the loose carbon saves you money in the long run. just remember to rinse the bags thoroughly in water to get rid of any carbon dust that might be in them. if you change these the same time you change your water, you can just swish them around in the old water.

3 minutes ago, holy carp said:

Those sponges are likely a significant component of her bio-filter, which is why the practice of cleaning them out on an alternating schedule is prudent.  I would not recommend replacing them with disposable filter floss.

The carbon, on the other hand, isn't doing much at this point and can be replaced.

that's a good point and was in the back of my head when I mentioned the filter floss.

so I guess the best thing is likely just to try exchanging the packet of activated carbon every month. you have a good thing going on, so it may not be necessary to make any big changes, like filter floss vs. sponge. 

Do not rush out and change stuff!!! Your tank looks great, better than many people’s tanks, and is running well... keep it as it is, that’s my strong advice.

Now that you’re here, you’re going to see lots of different ways of running a saltwater tank... it does not mean your way is wrong. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

I would check the manual that came with your tank to see if it says what’s in that sack in the filters, and what it says as far as maintenance. 

Twenty people are going to come in here and give you conflicting advice. Keep it simple. 

Others reading this... there is nothing wrong with her tank... everything looks happy, beautiful, and clean... this is one of the nicest tanks I’ve seen. I do not think it’s good to advise her to make all kinds of changes. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Do not rush out and change stuff!!! Your tank looks great, better than many people’s tanks, and is running well... keep it as it is, that’s my strong advice.

Now that you’re here, you’re going to see lots of different ways of running a saltwater tank... it does not mean your way is wrong. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

I would check the manual that came with your tank to see if it says what’s in that sack in the filters, and what it says as far as maintenance. 

Twenty people are going to come in here and give you conflicting advice. Keep it simple. 

I default to this...KISS is the best method.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Others reading this... there is nothing wrong with her tank... everything looks happy, beautiful, and clean... this is one of the nicest tanks I’ve seen. I do not think it’s good to advise her to make all kinds of changes. 

ok thank you ☺️

I will check about those little bags in the filters. I’ll let you all know what it is. maybe i’ll bring it to my lfs and ask. OR maybe Ill post a pic of it this weekend and you all can tell me 😩🙏

4 minutes ago, cathy said:

ok thank you ☺️

I will check about those little bags in the filters. I’ll let you all know what it is. maybe i’ll bring it to my lfs and ask. OR maybe Ill post a pic of it this weekend and you all can tell me 😩🙏

Or, if I can persuade the hubby when I beg tonight, I’ll order one and I’ll let you know what I find out from the packaging. 😉😂 Wish me luck! I am in love with this tank!!!

Please do not make a lot of changes. Every thing looks wonderful. I am sure the bags are carbon and that should be changed but do not change both at the same time. Other than that I can not say enough times as others have said if it isn't broke do not fix it. You have done a great job and it is working. All we ever want is healthy livestock which you have. Also great big thanks for answering all our questions and posting the pictures.   You and your tank are rock stars!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Or, if I can persuade the hubby when I beg tonight, I’ll order one and I’ll let you know what I find out from the packaging. 😉😂 Wish me luck! I am in love with this tank!!!

which one you gonna try to order bana?

• Like 1

Wow, love the tank. Never seen a panoramic tank before. Just keep what your doing if it's successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

which one you gonna try to order bana?

I’d probably try to get black, if it’s in stock.... and IF I can persuade the hubs... that’s a big if cuz he recently told me I can upgrade to a bigger tank, but I can’t get an additional tank... this tank could be a game changer though... as long as he doesn’t see the price 😬

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

doesn't see the price? big tanks aren't cheap either! unless of course, bigger means a 10 gallon or something, LoLoL!  

the 2.5 gallon for $99 is actually a good price as most of the low iron rimless pico tanks are about half that, and this comes with all the doodad's n doohickey's to get it up and running. I actually emailed Barb to see if she has distributors in Canada or if she is up to shipping a 2.5 gallon to Canada. we'll see...

• Like 1

also...I wonder know how easy/hard it would be to build a heavily anchor'd shelf so you could safely install something like a 12 or 22 gallon long with a frame built around it.

the depth would be a bit of an annoyance, but it's workable, rite?

or maybe like SmolReef, get the glass cut to your preferred dimensions and make a full on custom wall aquarium. you would be able to do it at a fraction of the price!!!

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

ha ha ha GOOD LUCK! 

and if u order one tell Cathy that Cathy from Oldsmar Fl says hi 👋

I kind of want to order one too....I don't want more tanks but this one looks fun. The 2.5g is cheap but that 5 foot tank is awesome. Hubby doesn't want more tanks either.

It looks fun.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I kind of want to order one too....I don't want more tanks but this one looks fun. The 2.5g is cheap but that 5 foot tank is awesome. Hubby doesn't want more tanks either.

It looks fun.

how many tanks do you have? lol

this tank is definitely a conversation piece, maybe because it’s unique. 

but I guess all tanks are a conversation piece 😂

6 minutes ago, cathy said:

how many tanks do you have? lol

this tank is definitely a conversation piece, maybe because it’s unique. 

but I guess all tanks are a conversation piece 😂

Three nano tanks currently. 

Technically two others I am not counting as they are not set up yet... one is super tiny... and the other would be a frag tank. 

• Like 1

Technically two others I am not counting as they are not set up yet... one is super tiny... and the other would be a frag tank. 

that’s awesome! they’re soooo relaxing. I now lay on the short end of my couch and watch my fish tank instead of the long end to watch tv 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cathy said:

ha ha ha GOOD LUCK! 

and if u order one tell Cathy that Cathy from Oldsmar Fl says hi 👋

Things are seeming promising so far.... 🤞🤞🤞 Said he’s not so worried about the cost as the extra maintenance time an additional tank will take. I told him I can do fish only, no high maintenance corals (like my high maintenance nonphotosynthetic babies in my Biocube)... this could happen... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Things are seeming promising so far.... 🤞🤞🤞 Said he’s not so worried about the cost as the extra maintenance time an additional tank will take. I told him I can do fish only, no high maintenance corals (like my high maintenance nonphotosynthetic babies in my Biocube)... this could happen... 

awesome!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!  🤞🙌

• Thanks 1