Top Shelf Aquatics

hi everyone

cathy

41 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wow, your tank is amazing, and beautifully stocked. I want one!!! 💛

I would keep the yellow coris wrasse for now, it’s probably helping to control pests in your tank. Keep doing what you’re doing!!!

pests? what kind of pests? 😳

hes really a neat fish. he goes completely u set the sand! so cool! 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Friendly said:

those are some nifty options! too bad they require you to cut a hole in the wall to install...can't really do that in a rental. 😞   

only for the plugs. can’t you just patch, spackle & paint when u move?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Check out Aussie Aquariums. They make some hang n the wall aquariums not sure if they need a hole in the wall.

56 minutes ago, Friendly said:

those are some nifty options! too bad they require you to cut a hole in the wall to install...can't really do that in a rental. 😞   

I just realized. the electric is in a compartment under the tank so you only need one hole from the tank down to the outlet so the wire goes behind the wall. i’m in a townhome and have someone on the other side of my wall but my maintaence guy was able to do it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cathy said:

only for the plugs. can’t you just patch, spackle & paint when u move?

I could be missing something. does your aquarium stick 5" out from the wall? can you take a side view photo so we can see that?

I'm assuming it bolts onto studs or something to support itself?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Don’t even worry... your tank is good. 

are u sure I shouldn’t worry? omg now im going to be looking for pests. like what? like bugs? or algae? worms? 

aaaacckkk 😩

4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Yeah check it out on Amazon!!! I need to find a free wall to hang one of these babies... man, I just ordered prints of a couple of my tank photos this morning to hang on the wall in my home office...if I had seen this first, I would have ordered it instead!!!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cathy said:

are u sure I shouldn’t worry? omg now im going to be looking for pests. like what? like bugs? or algae? worms? 

aaaacckkk 😩

Do not worry... I repeat... do.not.worry... your tank is amazing... don’t overthink it 💛

Also, I agree with others, we need to see more pics 🙏

12 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I could be missing something. does your aquarium stick 5" out from the wall? can you take a side view photo so we can see that?

yes bolts to the studs. it comes with 3 hook type things. like an L shape & you bolt those to the studs the hang the tank on the bottom of the L. kind f like a shelf.  and has these powerful clips that then connect the tank to the top of the hooks.  the 3 studs won’t be spaced exactly evenly but it doesn’t matter. HA   filling the tank the first time was a little nerve-racking I have to admit LOL I was expecting a disaster!  😂

441A3227-7277-4426-A871-F257C2470523.thumb.jpeg.e5c7b51495ea0daac1e279b6ba3244b2.jpegYou will see what the tank comes like in the 2nd picture, the 1st picture I built a top for it because I do not like the light shining up on the ceiling at night. I just have to get paint to paint it the same color as the tank I have not done that yet LOL. the last picture is the bottom of the tank. that compartment drops open where all the electric is. has 4 outlets. 

FBD4A291-4E27-4198-A2CB-F0319615C5DB.jpeg

F46781B5-2F13-47E7-91A2-42C0371CB16B.jpeg

• Wow 1
11 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yeah check it out on Amazon!!! I need to find a free wall to hang one of these babies... man, I just ordered prints of a couple of my tank photos this morning to hang on the wall in my home office...if I had seen this first, I would have ordered it instead!!!

amazon gets it from bayshore aquariums and right now Cathy has them on clearance price. i don’t think she sells them year round. ha ha mention cathy in oldsmar she’ll remember me. i bought the same tanks a few years ago from her and dropped it moving 😭

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, banasophia said:

can you provide a link? I checked and all the listings that came up said 'Currently Unavailable'.

7 minutes ago, Friendly said:

can you provide a link? I checked and all the listings that came up said 'Currently Unavailable'.

you have to go to www.bayshoreaquaruim.com then scroll to large panoramic fish tank. They allow you to pick any color you want and it will go in your cart but they stopped making some of them. i wanted silver but they discontinued those. 

here is her email:

orders@bayshoreaquarium.com

but heads up she takes a couple days to respond. 

I'd love to get one of the 10 gallon...but even at the reduced price, I suspect freight up to Canada would be just as much as the tank or worse.

it sucks to be north of the 49th sometimes...  😞 

Just now, Friendly said:

I'd love to get one of the 10 gallon...but even at the reduced price, I suspect freight up to Canada would be just as much as the tank or worse.

it sucks to be north of the 49th sometimes...  😞 

freight was $85.00. wasn’t happy about that. can’t imagine how much to canada 😞

2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

http://www.bayshoreaquarium.com/large-panoramic-wall-fish-tank.html

You’re right... the one on Amazon is out of stock right now. 

when my original one broke i tried to buy another right away. my original was fresh water btw. anyway.. they were out of stock for months and months and i had to wait till end of year. so i bought it the november before this last one so I’d have it for my townhome. (sold my home, downsized). i’m wondering if she’s doing the same thing this year. she’s not a big company so i think they only make so many then done till holidays. i could be wrong though. 

also the reason they are discounted is because she said there are cracks in some of the seams in the wood frame at the corners. i put wood glue on mine just in case it cracked but mine didn’t really have any. figured i’d put it on to reinforce. 

4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Cathy, can you tell us about the filtration, and how you do a water change?

it has 2 filters that stick on the each side of the tank. they have power heads on them. if u look at the website it should tell u the filter. i have no clue. 

when i do a water change, i take the siphon it comes with and have a gallon container under it. i fill it up and dump it. then i take the water i buy from the lfs (I buy 2 10 gallon buckets) and i siphon 1 gallon of water out of it into the empty gallon container and pour it into the tank. 

every several months i move the rocks to one side and clean the sand then same for other side. for that, i have a big empty planter on a stand and i use that because it ends up sucking out more than 1 gallon.  that’s a pic of the planter I use. it’s just super convenient. when i’m done i do the water outside & wash it out with soapy water (container lifts out of stand) and use it for my throw blankets lol

when I had this set up in my old house as fresh water, I had one of those python hoses. It attached to my Spicket right out my back door and I just sucked the water out, and then turn the lever on the python and filled the tank back up but had to add the water conditioner stuff cuz it was tap water. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Cathy,  you've been very helpful with your photo's. could we encourage you to take a few shots of area's that hold the filters, heater, etc?

I took two pics of each side of the tank with a filter stuck  to the side. I also took a view from the front so you can see they aren’t really all that noticeable. The picture of the plugs is when the bottom of the tank is dropped open. it’s like a shelf that has a tab on each side so u can drop it down to reach the outlets, then push it up and click it in place so it doesn’t hang down. i then took pic with it closed. the four red lights on bottom of tank are the switches. 1 for each filter, 1 for heater and 1 for lights

the heater seems a little long for the tank it won’t stand completely vertical so you have to slant it. 

C08B63D0-CA9A-4791-AECD-C1D8317337F3.jpeg

1DA344C1-CB53-47C5-87E4-294B3251FCC3.jpeg

5EFDE206-1658-4497-BE20-688CD2C25F65.jpeg

510E426E-CF25-4C3D-B612-1F76A7FEFB4D.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3

very cool. what do you have in the filter for media?

and you could always replace the heater with something more suitable. there are a bazillion options out there. I know the Cobalt models are popular for smaller tanks.

and what do you do for water changes?

and where did you get your rock? being so skinny, you would have to choose very carefully so you could run an algae cleaner along the glass and not get stuck or bump the rock and stuff.

1 minute ago, Friendly said:

very cool. what do you have in the filter for media?

and you could always replace the heater with something more suitable. there are a bazillion options out there. I know the Cobalt models are popular for smaller tanks.

and what do you do for water changes?

and where did you get your rock? being so skinny, you would have to choose very carefully so you could run an algae cleaner along the glass and not get stuck or bump the rock and stuff.

I don’t even know what filter media is. it has a black sponge and then something like a bag stuck inside. I clean the sponge in water that I buy from lfs for top off, which i’ve never had evaporatio, so i swish the sponge in that. i have no idea how to clean that bag thing so i just swish the whole filter bottom with the bag inside in the clean water. i need to research here what those bags are for. 

i know, i have no clue about any of this 🙄

water changes simple. i use the siphon and fill up a 1 gallon container with the tank water. dump it then refill with water i buy from lfs.

I explained in another reply when i try to clean the sand what i use and there’s a pic. 

I bought a rock that I had to hammer the hell out of 😩 it was one 9 lb rock and now it’s 9 lbs of rock pieces. lol 

it comes with one of those magnet cleaners but i just move the rocks to one side and clean the glass, then move it to the other side and clean the glass. I do that when I clean the sand, not that often unless i see a little spot here or there of algae. 

• Like 1

Looks like the rock is Caribsea Liferock, possibly from their Shapes collection... My rock in my tanks is also Liferock which I bought as live rock in pieces from my LFS. I find mine to be very resistant to algae.