ReefCleaners.org

hi everyone

cathy

this is a very long read. i’m confused ...

so I’m sort of new to this. I purchase a 10 gallon panoramic tank about a year ago that hangs on my wall. i bought it more as a decorative thing because it looks really cool. 

anyway. when i first set up this tank I Purchased saltwater from the fish store, and they gave me a blue danzel with a yellow tail to cycle it. Along with live rock and live sand. I had no idea that you should not do that so I went on his recommendation. About one month later I went back to the store to get water for water changes, and they sold me 2 clown fish a long yellow fish I think wrasse 6 blue legged hermit crabs that are tiny, an orange coral, a feather duster, and one of those anomones. After researching I found it is a condy anemone with purple tips. it was so small but has got much bigger now. 

I never knew these forums existed and I was googling about water changes and stumbled upon this. I have never tested my water levels because I didn’t buy a test kit, and I only use the LED lights that came with my tank along with the 2 filters it came with that both have power heads attached. All of my fish are still alive along with the anemone, coral, and feather duster. Oh and also all the little crabs. Now from what I’m reading this should be overload on my tank. I do one and a half gallon water change every week. After being on this forum I panicked & brought my water to the store and all my levels are perfect. nitrite 0, amonia 0, nitrate was between 0 and 5.0. 

Everything in my tank seems to be thriving. Its been about 11 months now. After reading everything on here it seems that this would be overload for such a tiny tank. My fish are able to swim back-and-forth because the tank is 5 feet long so they aren’t cramped. I’m not quite sure if I should leave things alone since all is fine or if I need to take things out and mess things up?

any thought?

I know when I started my tank, my LFS sold me a small condi  I had a 12 gal and everyone told me my tank was way too small for a condi.  I would love to see a picture of your tank.  I can't picture a 10 gal tank, 5 feet long, hung on a wall.

• Haha 1

You got lucky!  I wouldn't be too worried at this point but it's good to see that you're intelligent and are seeking advise and learning more about the hobby.  Welcome!

• Like 1

Post a picture of your tank!

Things tend to be a bit more hardy than I think some people give them credit for. But now that you know the proper stuff, you can at least look after the tank better and monitor your parameters.

If you know anyone locally with a bigger tank, you could let them take some of your stock to reduce your load. But it seems everything is healthy from your description, so don't panic or try to get rid of things in a hurry. Check some local reef forums or groups to see if someone has a tank that you could rehome your fish or anemone in.

NEVER trust your fish store! They just want to sell stuff and half the employees don't know anything. 

If you have issues, it'll most likely be water quality related, which is something a larger water change would fix. Good luck!

I looked up 10 gallon wall mounted tank. Are your dimensions 5 feet long by 6 inches deep? I mean... honestly fish swim back and forth so it may feel a lot bigger to a fish than a traditional tank that is more gallons. If you've had it a yearly now and nothing is wrong with it then I wouldn't really change your husbandry habits now. Why try to fix what isn't broken?

• Like 1

I just posted a few pics. I guess they have to be approved first. 

The reason I got concerned is because I’ve been reading horror stories about the fish suffering & how the anemone will kill everything in my tank. 

I also clean the sponges in my filters. I clean one then a week later i clean the other. then I wait about 1 month and do it again. 

6 hours ago, sadie said:

I know when I started my tank, my LFS sold me a small condi  I had a 12 gal and everyone told me my tank was way too small for a condi.  I would love to see a picture of your tank.  I can't picture a 10 gal tank, 5 feet long, hung on a wall.

do you still have it?

6 hours ago, Coinee said:

Post a picture of your tank!

Things tend to be a bit more hardy than I think some people give them credit for. But now that you know the proper stuff, you can at least look after the tank better and monitor your parameters.

If you know anyone locally with a bigger tank, you could let them take some of your stock to reduce your load. But it seems everything is healthy from your description, so don't panic or try to get rid of things in a hurry. Check some local reef forums or groups to see if someone has a tank that you could rehome your fish or anemone in.

NEVER trust your fish store! They just want to sell stuff and half the employees don't know anything. 

If you have issues, it'll most likely be water quality related, which is something a larger water change would fix. Good luck!

I can’t get a bigger tank, I live in a townhome so no room for one. If I ever sell and buy a house I will make sure it has space for a big aquarium. BUT I will definitely be in here setting it up properly. ☺️

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jim_i said:

You got lucky!  I wouldn't be too worried at this point but it's good to see that you're intelligent and are seeking advise and learning more about the hobby.  Welcome!

I truly believe it was luck. I didn’t even know to test t water etc. I figured I bought the water, live sand, and live rock from them so it must be fine 🙄

the blue damsel in the tank, if u can see him in the pics is the original one I cycled the tank with. I hope he didn’t stress or suffer 😞

13 minutes ago, Mazzy21 said:

I looked up 10 gallon wall mounted tank. Are your dimensions 5 feet long by 6 inches deep? I mean... honestly fish swim back and forth so it may feel a lot bigger to a fish than a traditional tank that is more gallons. If you've had it a yearly now and nothing is wrong with it then I wouldn't really change your husbandry habits now. Why try to fix what isn't broken?

yes 6 inches deep. they swim back and forth a lot especially the clown fish! so fun to watch. 

oh and one more thing.... my anemone has never moved from that spot. he has turned a few times and his back facing where you can only see his foot, but i pick up the rock and turn him and he stays.  I have read that those anemones  move around the tank a lot, any ideas why he doesn’t move?

Nice tank! I love it 🙂 

It sounds to me like you were given quality live rock which has kept your system stable and you have kept up on water changes. 

While in a normal 10g tank, a yellow wrasse would not be appropriate at all!! Since the dimensions of your tank are so long, it can work, at least for a good long while. They can get really big, like 6 inches but every one I had grew slow and yours appears to be a juvi. 

Fish love horizontal swim room and we often see the 12 gallon longs with more active fish in them than a standard 10g. 

Yes, nem's can kill things, particularly coral, you do not appear to have much coral so I would not be worried. 

Your LED light may be working for the nem because your tank is very very shallow. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nice tank! I love it 🙂 

It sounds to me like you were given quality live rock which has kept your system stable and you have kept up on water changes. 

While in a normal 10g tank, a yellow wrasse would not be appropriate at all!! Since the dimensions of your tank are so long, it can work, at least for a good long while. They can get really big, like 6 inches but every one I had grew slow and yours appears to be a juvi. 

Fish love horizontal swim room and we often see the 12 gallon longs with more active fish in them than a standard 10g. 

Yes, nem's can kill things, particularly coral, you do not appear to have much coral so I would not be worried. 

Your LED light may be working for the nem because your tank is very very shallow. 

oh wow so i probably will have to find a home for the yellow wrasse. i redid my calculations. i’ve had the tank for 10 months not 11 and everything together in the tank for 9 months.

I only have the one nem & 1 coral. not sure what kind, it looks orangy red in color. 

as far as active, they swim all day back & forth. the clowns the most, then the wrasse then the danzel. the crabs move around a ton too

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

If they don't move they are happy where they are. Moving is not desirable; you want them to stay put.

oh wow good to know. weird because he didn’t even move to find a favorite place 

I love this tank. I wish I had one. At 9 months and no losses I would have to say things have gone extremely well. Except for rehoming the yellow fish I would not change a thing. Some LFS just want to make a sale but not all. At first it seemed like the one you went to may have been doing that. Now hearing how successful this tank has been I think they know what they are doing for the most part. It must have been very high quality live rock. Very few people cycle a tank with a fish any more but your tank may have had a very small cycle and the fish sounds fine. I am happy for you and the fish. Please update this post from time to time. Oh yeah welcome to NR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, cathy said:

I just posted a few pics. I guess they have to be approved first. 

The reason I got concerned is because I’ve been reading horror stories about the fish suffering & how the anemone will kill everything in my tank. 

I also clean the sponges in my filters. I clean one then a week later i clean the other. then I wait about 1 month and do it again. 

do you still have it?

I can’t get a bigger tank, I live in a townhome so no room for one. If I ever sell and buy a house I will make sure it has space for a big aquarium. BUT I will definitely be in here setting it up properly. ☺️

Your tank is amazing!!  I need one of those on every wall in my house!!:happydance:  

No, I don't have the condi.  I returned it right away.  You do have an advantage because of the length of your tank.  My 12 gal was a typical "box" shape and as the condi moved around, it would sting everything.  I think they get REALLY big so eventually you might have to trade him in for a smaller one, but it will probably be fine there for a while.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Yea I'm with Friendly, what in the world is the make and model of this tank???

thanks ☺️

it’s from bayshore aquariums. the lady’s name is also cathy but not me lol. they are very helpful too. 

they used to have an extra large one that was 7ft x 16 but stopped selling it. would have bought that one! 

31 minutes ago, Friendly said:

that is an awesome tank! what is the make/model, it's super cool! 😄

i just saw thisnso i copied and pasted my same reply lol

thanks ☺️

it’s from bayshore aquariums. the lady’s name is also cathy but not me lol. they are very helpful too. 

they used to have an extra large one that was 7ft x 16 but stopped selling it. would have bought that one! 

• Like 1

Wow, your tank is amazing, and beautifully stocked. I want one!!! 💛

I would keep the yellow coris wrasse for now, it’s probably helping to control pests in your tank. Keep doing what you’re doing!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1