inTank Media Baskets

Duncan not opening up

WJC1967

I have a 24 gallon JBJ nano with led lights. On 2/1 I added a Duncan and it opened up right away and was opened for a few days. On 2/4 I target fed it some frozen brine and since then it closed up. Just checked on it during lights out and it is halfway open. All water parameters are perfect. Everything else doing fine. Is this normal for a Duncan? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am new to nanos. I had to shut down 6 tanks (30, 55, 75, 110, 180 and 350) and now I have two 24 gallon JBJ nanos one is a reef and one is fish only. 

1 hour ago, WJC1967 said:

How far down from the top should I place the Duncan 

I've usually had mine 1/2 way up and the Duncans have been happy but my LED's are not crazy strong.  They can be a little sensitive to too much flow though so I've had to tweak their placement because of that.  In that scenario they weren't puffing up as large as normal.

19 hours ago, WJC1967 said:

All water parameters are perfect.

Can you post all of your most recent test results?

Please include NO3 and PO4, as well as Ca, alk and Mg.

Thanks for the info I just ran another test. nitrate 0, phosphate .3 , calcium 400 and dkh 12. All the other corals are doing fine (Toadstool, hammer, trumpet,  candy cane, feather duster and some zoas) I also have fish in the tank and all are doing fine. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. 

12 hours ago, WJC1967 said:

Test results from 2/4

Nitrate 0

phosphate 0

12 hours ago, WJC1967 said:

I just ran another test. nitrate 0, phosphate .3

.3 or 0.03? 

0.3 means that in three days your phosphates blasted upwards by a whole order of magnitude beyond ideal levels (0.03 ppm).

Alk seems a little high compared with calcium too....are you dosing for either one?

FYI...

The other corals were in place and already acclimated when the Duncan showed up....they most likely had available nutrients to allow them to acclimate....the duncan does not.  Feeding is great, but dissoved nutrients are not optional....especially in a new tank where little or no nutrient recycling is happening yet.

If you're doing anything to reduce nutrients (GFO, Chemipure, water changes, et al), stop.  It's possible that may be enough to allow levels to recover.

If you're not doing anything to especially promote the low nutrient levels, then dosing NO3 and PO4 may be your best option.

Let us know!  :-)

Thank you mcarroll. Sorry it’s .03 and I haven’t dosed anything. I did do a couple weekly 5 gallon water changes. I’ll lay off the water changes for now. What are the idea parameters? I picked up a bottle of phyto  plankton today- should I start using this? I also have some Kent Purple Tech which I used to use on my 75 is this good to use in the Nano? Thank you for all the help 😀

I would dose nutrients directly since you have no idea what levels the phyto will provide when it decomposes in the tank.    Phyto will also add unnecessary nutrients -- everything but N and P is unwanted in your case.

(I'm not too sure about Kent Purple Tech's contents or purpose so I can't say much there.  What do you know about it?)

I used purple tech years ago on my 75 gallon reef and it really worked it stimulates the growth of purple coralline and green calcareous macro algae. It provides specific concentrations of calcium, mag, strontium, trace and carbonates. Check it out - shortly after I started dosing it the coralline algae was growing. I sound like a commercial for Kent lol. I know quite a few reefers who used it and everyone had positive results. 

If you have it, then I'd use it I guess....but you'll have to be mindful of your Ca, alk, and Mg so levels don'y go out of whack in any way.  I wonder if the put corline spores in it or anything?  (Coraline algae or spores have to be in the tank in order to grow there of course, so if you have none and the product supplies none, none will grow.

I had one do the exact same thing, couldn't figure it out, moved it to a higher flow area and it opened right up.  I have another one I moved to the same area (same flow) it closed up.  I've found they are like children...individually picky.  Maybe try another area.