Innovative Marine Aquariums

Phosphates Zero - Increase?

SaltyBuddha

Purchased a Hanna phosphate checker because my regular test kit wasnt showing anything. Well, the Hanna is saying 0.00 ppm.

I removed my Phosguard and will continue to feed like normal.

My question is this. Once my phosphates get to .02/.03, can I put in a smaller amount of Phosguard? Or will that just keep stripping the water down to 0?

• 4 weeks later...

it will definitely keep stripping the water down to 0 for 30 days once you remover the residue will have a prolong stay abuse of about 30 hours for the initial allay boom meaning invulnerable period of photo-synthethic remover of dust to might boom then the phosguard will retain its eleviated texture level for a 30 day period considering the initial allay boom, and within that period will continue to strip so there is no need to use phosguard for a 30 day period

sincirely frokly, rab

How good is your biofiltration? Is phosguard propping up your filtration or is it an add-on that's taking phosphate removal too far? If you have enough biofiltration I would remove like 50-75% of the phosguard now and then see what happens. If the tank is fine after a few days then I'd just remove the rest and see what happens again.

Why not run the tank with no phosguard if you don't need it, naw mean? Then you'll have it there and in case you hit a bad patch you can throw it in to help the recovery.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Thanks for the replies @Rabb.D and @WhatsReef

I removed the Phosguard and have not added any since then. Been testing and my phosphates are still at 0.

Most likely a false zero because I do have a small amount of algae on the back glass and on a newly added piece of rock.

I did ramp up my skimming and will keep monitoring to see if any phosphate reducing media will be needed. 

The corals are looking much better and some of my SPS have begun to color back up. 

• Like 1

Algae can also grow from ammonia, not just phosphates and nitrates. In fact, they prefer ammonia. They're very efficient at capturing ammonia faster than your bacteria can get to it. 

• Like 1

What he said.

This is why algae outbreaks can smother tanks that test 0 for nitrate and phosphate.

Also, ammonia can stimulate symbiotic algae in corals.....it rarely hurts it.

• Like 1