Pod Your Reef

Is there such a thing as a 10 gallon long?

Friendly

you see all these cube tanks and I feel sorry the fish can only go in a circle around the scape. i can't go too big though...not right now anyhow, so in addition to my pico reef, I'd like to have something around 10 gallons that long and rimless. i plan on a simple 10 gallon sump too, so I can have enough stuff in it to excite the grand kids. 😉

yes...I know...but I'm asking about a 10 gallon long. hoping for something that's not 36" and allows for a bit more height or depth...but height is preferred.  :happy:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Friendly said:

you see all these cube tanks and I feel sorry the fish can only go in a circle around the scape. i can't go too big though...not right now anyhow, so in addition to my pico reef, I'd like to have something around 10 gallons that long and rimless. i plan on a simple 10 gallon sump too, so I can have enough stuff in it to excite the grand kids. 😉

Gonna build your bookshelf aquarium, eh? heh.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HeyJay said:

So what would your ideal dimensions be? Aquamaxx makes a 9 gallon that is 24x10x10, and a 17 gallon that is 24x12x14

that 9 gallon Aquamaxx sounds almost perfect!

I have found someone a comparable 6.3 gallon Mr. Aqua...not low iron, alas, but very intriguing.

granted, I am a bit daft...the Fluvao Evo 13 fits my requirements quite well too.

I've just asked if the company with the Serene 6.3 can get the Serene 3...and source something like that AquaMaxx 9. I could have fun and make for quite the interesting display!  😄 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MrObscura said:

You probably shouldn't be putting open swimmers in a nano anyway. Any fish suited for 10g period, will be just fine with the space offered by a cube. 

why? fish don't like being cramped anymore than a person, even if it's only on a psychological level, more room to move is better.  :) 

25 minutes ago, Friendly said:

why? fish don't like being cramped anymore than a person, even if it's only on a psychological level, more room to move is better.  🙂

Some fish don't venture far from their home. Its part of instinctual habits, even in a tank.

I have 3 fish in a 25g that all stay in 1 section. 1 won't go past a certain point, not even for food. Therefore size and shape of tank is irrelevant to them.

Then you have fish that need more room for swimming because they are travellers, any of those can't be housed in 10g.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Some fish don't venture far from their home. Its part of instinctual habits, even in a tank.

I have 3 fish in a 25g that all stay in 1 section. 1 won't go past a certain point, not even for food. Therefore size and shape of tank is irrelevant to them.

Then you have fish that need more room for swimming because they are travellers, any of those can't be housed in 10g.

what fish are those? I didn't think of that at the time of my query 'why?', but of course that does make sense and would be taken into consideration when stocking. at the same time though, in a cube it would make for cramped space if I had fish wanting to stake a claim to an area...being spread out would ease that and possible aggression.

on the side, does anyone know the aquarium brand Hydra? the company that has the 6.3 galon Mr. Aqua bookshelf also has a 3 gallon bookshelf by Hydra. I wonder if they would have a 9 gallon bookshelf.

Just now, Reefkid88 said:

Aqualabaquaria has a very hefty selection of tanks check them out. 

They do...but most of their wares are as much in USD as they are up here in CAD. in fact, in the case of that Mr. Aqua 6.3 gallon bookshelf, they're more...$79.99 to the $74.99 CAD. that makes it more equivalent to $112 CAD after exchange and before the crazy shipping/brokerage charges.  😞 

when our dollars were closer to par after the recession, it was nice...it was worth ordering from the US then. take a 12 gallon long...they're $200 here while they're like $100 in the US. that's a $60 premium even after the 1.4x exchange.  😞  however, the cost of shipping and brokerage still makes it a better deal to buy from a Canadian supplier.

the larger issue is the lack of vendor product in Canada. it's limited in scope compared to the US.

9 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Península style?

🤔

indeed, the IM 14 or 20 Peninsula are contenders, as are the the Fluval Evo's...but I am thinking of wanting to go with a sump, not an AiO.

22 hours ago, Friendly said:

what fish are those? I didn't think of that at the time of my query 'why?', but of course that does make sense and would be taken into consideration when stocking. at the same time though, in a cube it would make for cramped space if I had fish wanting to stake a claim to an area...being spread out would ease that and possible aggression.

on the side, does anyone know the aquarium brand Hydra? the company that has the 6.3 galon Mr. Aqua bookshelf also has a 3 gallon bookshelf by Hydra. I wonder if they would have a 9 gallon bookshelf.

In my 25g my midas and both clowns stick to one area.

In my 10g my clown sticks to one area

My blenny in my 5.5 generally stays in his rock besides a few mins here and there grazing.

Jawfish, gobies, clowns, blenny, are 4 I can think of off the top of my head.

40 minutes ago, Friendly said:

indeed, the IM 14 or 20 Peninsula are contenders, as are the the Fluval Evo's...but I am thinking of wanting to go with a sump, not an AiO.

Where are you located?

Try angelfins.ca

yes, I've been in talks with Angelfins.ca...they don't carry IM, but they do have Mr. Aqua products and they linked me to their supplier. I can get 1.5 gallon, 3 gallon and 6 gallon rimless bookshelf tanks...no 9 gallon though, but that's not a big deal if I can get those for now.  😄 

Gourami Swami

Aquatop makes a 6.5 gallon long that is 24" long, is high-clarity glass (no green tint at all), and is cheap (about 70$). You can buy them directly from aquatop, or from truaqua.com. I ordered mine from truaqua and it arrived quick and crack-free.

I'm using mine as a freshwater iwagumi planted tank, and I love the dimensions. It is 9.5" tall and 6.75" wide.  Here's a pic

iwa.thumb.jpg.059a56e48c690f7402252cf1456922ae.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
23 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

Aquatop makes a 6.5 gallon long that is 24" long, is high-clarity glass (no green tint at all), and is cheap (about 70$). You can buy them directly from aquatop, or from truaqua.com. I ordered mine from truaqua and it arrived quick and crack-free.

I'm using mine as a freshwater iwagumi planted tank, and I love the dimensions. It is 9.5" tall and 6.75" wide.  Here's a pic

iwa.thumb.jpg.059a56e48c690f7402252cf1456922ae.jpg

I emailed AquaTop to see if they had any CDN distributors and in talks with them to see if they have any resellers that I can source the 3 and 6.5 gallon tanks from.  🙂 

• Like 2