Pod Your Reef

I have to be honest, Tang related.

jeepseahawk

4 yrs ago I got back into saltwater, went with 24 aio from lfs.   3 months into into it after cycle, I put a yellow tang, one yellow tail damsel and two basic clowns in the tank, asked and ok'd by lfs.   Year later, started researching on several forums about soft corals and found a post on tang's in a nano, was very shocked what I read, felt guilty and shamed.   My 4 fish were happy and fat, could not make myself take back tang, he has so much character and was worried about his new home.   It has been 4 yrs now, same 4 fish live in this tank but feeling guilty, after perusing the forums again.   If there is a person local in southern California, with a big tank and good  husbandry, I will re-home him for free with interview.  

I have a small house (plus 100 yrs old, don't trust floor joists), want to keep him but reading all the negative forum posts, want him to have a new home that I approve.    I was very naive getting back into saltwater.  

Just now, jeepseahawk said:

I have a small house, want to keep him but reading all the negative forum posts, want him to have a new home that I approve.   

I mean they school in the wild and travel large distances...grow large...and can live decades.

So ya a 24g aio offers that Tang nothing of a natural environment.

There are plenty of people with large well cared for tanks in general... especially I cali.

20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

So you felt guilty for 4 years? 

How big is it now?

I left the forums and ignored negatives, never felt guilty again until coming back to forums.   He is no more than 2.5 inches and very healthy, he is first one to recognize me, his food source.    I have felt guilty only about 2 months total, 1 month after researching forums and last month researching again.  You can look at my posts, they are 3-4 yrs apart last 5 yrs, well, looks like I never posted when first joined in 2015.

MainelyReefer

Tank upgrade time, if you go the rehoming route a local forum will have more activity for local pickup.  Sounds like his growth has been stunted in response to his environment.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Tank upgrade time, if you go the rehoming route a local forum will have more activity for local pickup.  Sounds like his growth has been stunted in response to his environment.

Most likely stunted, if anyone knows someone who will take him locally let me know.  I will not take him back to LFS, don't trust them and want to know new keepers.   LFS always told me he would not get bigger than his environment, forum research said not true.  I really don't want to re-home him but cannot get a bigger tank and feeling guilty again.   Looking back, it has been little over 3 yrs, not 4.  I have been member of another reef forum with huge audience, to scared to post re-homing there, will bust my balls badly for keeping a tang in my little tank.  That will be my last resort before keeping him.  

What you do is find a local reef club. Tell them that you had algae in your tank. You bought a juvenile tang at the recommendation of a pet shop and now you're feeling guilty and it's time to re-home it. Someone will likely be overjoyed to help you out. 

• Like 4

...only don't feel a need to make up a story.  😄  Your story is just fine. 

Just find someone and be careful transferring him to his new keeper.

Good luck!

Also, I know it's hard, but rehoming, even to the best of places, doesn't mean all will be well.  We all have stories of our best attempts at transporting/homing these awesome creatures and life happens.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, jeepseahawk said:

I have a small house (plus 100 yrs old, don't trust floor joists), want to keep him but reading all the negative forum posts, want him to have a new home that I approve.    I was very naive getting back into saltwater.  

dont worry. some lfs will tell you stuff like that. if he seems happy and healthy, its probably fine. if he does seem stressed, take him back to the lfs or find someone with a big enough tank. 

HookedOnAquariums
17 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

dont worry. some lfs will tell you stuff like that. if he seems happy and healthy, its probably fine. if he does seem stressed, take him back to the lfs or find someone with a big enough tank. 

We cant know what fish think. His growth has been stunted in that tank and the op cannot upgrade. The only option at this point to to regime the poor fish.