SaltCritters.com

Dally’s 10

Dally

Yesterday marked one year since the beginning of the saltwater journey for me! I’ve been on NR for a while but never got around to posting much. I’m happy with how my tank has progressed so I’d decided I’d share it!

3141DE13-998E-40B1-956D-B04EB142DF10.thumb.jpeg.1d82cfcf333267d8eda3068f70cab98d.jpeg

25C2F2F8-867B-4A37-ACA4-A5FE1AF19C13.thumb.jpeg.2775c2f2a8da8f9b2ebc472cfa8e3f8c.jpeg

AC419B0B-4FA6-42A8-BA89-7233DFFEBFC9.thumb.jpeg.8269776e6fada6c1e2a4f159b455acdd.jpeg

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions! More photos to come!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

please tell us more about your equipment, what you have stocked. etc!

The tank is a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I really like its dimensions. I was able to order the tank without its usual stand for about $60. The only other equipment is an Aquaclear 20, a 50w Aqueon Pro Heater, and a Current USA Orbit LED. I plan on upgrading the light to a Nanobox but the Current does well for all the coral in the tank right now.

EEA8ED1B-912C-4690-AFDB-C2F894DB354D.thumb.jpeg.436018e02d53073409d8ade47efd0ef6.jpeg

Here’s the stock list:

Coral:

Orange Acan

Rainbow Lord

Purple & Green Lord

Striped Lord

Grape Punch Lord

Orange Mushroon

Duncan

Fire & Ice Zoas

Unknown Red Zoas

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas

Candy Apple Zoas

Haunted Forest Zoas

Coal Mine Zoas

Pulsing Xenia

2 Cherry Blastos

Neon Blasto

Aussie Yellow Hammer

John Deere Leptastrea

Red Rim Favites

Moonshine Chalice

Miami Hurricane Echinata

GI Joe Favia

Mint Massacre Favia

Spitfire Favia

Pipe Organ

Aussie Ultra Green Torch

Green Star Polyps

Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone

2 Rock Flower Anemones

Porcelain Crab

Pom Pom Crab

2 Red Leg Hermits

1 Turbo Snail

1 Nerite Snail

2 Nassarius Snails

1 Red Starfish

2 Ocellaris Clowns

I feed the clowns most days & spot feed the corals with Reef Roids the night before a water change. I water change about every two weeks.

As the reef has matured it has become really low maintenance, and that’s the way I like it. With minimal equipment, things stay simple & I can spend more time enjoying my tank.

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's a beautiful nano reef @Dally, congrats on your first year! How has the red starfish been doing for you?

The starfish had been super easy! I got him about three months ago & haven’t needed to feed him directly. He scavenges well & helps to clean the glass.

29 minutes ago, Friendly said:

also Dally, do your clowns host with any of the anemone?

Unfortunately not yet. The green bubble tip is still very small & the rainbow bubble tip is fairly new to the tank. I’ve seen them messing around with it, having it’s tentacles in their mouth, but no hosting yet. Hopefully they will eventually.

16 minutes ago, Gourami Swami said:

Do you dose anything? 2 part? Or just water changes?

No dosing! I’ve considered it, but just water changes have been enough so far. There are a lot of frags in the tank, so as they get bigger I might need to start dosing. I’ll just have to wait & see.

I love that it gets darker in the back. Gives the illusion that the tank doesn't end, as well as helps hide the heater/filter.

And the colours are beautiful

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveMc said:

Beautiful tank Doesn't look like it's 6 gallons....looks bigger :lol:

1 hour ago, paulsz said:

I love that it gets darker in the back. Gives the illusion that the tank doesn't end, as well as helps hide the heater/filter.

And the colours are beautiful

Thanks y’all!!

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

what'cha gonna do when the clowns get big? will get pretty cramped for them... 

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I went small because I’m in college so a small tank keeps me mobile. When I settle down I’d eventually like to upgrade to around a 20-25 gallon range. I might need to upgrade sooner though if the corals outgrow the tank.

2 hours ago, paulsz said:

You can just frag them if they get too big, no?

True. I haven’t fragged much so I’m a bit wary of it, but I’ll never learn if I never try. I’d definitely be nervous to frag my favorite pieces like the hammer & torch.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JR! said:

What's your camera set up BTW?

I use a Canon 77D with a Sigma 17-70mm lens. I also use photoshop to try and make the colors look more accurate to what the eye sees.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I might have to upgrade to a larger tank sooner than a I expected. I can’t get the torch in a place that it won’t sting some other surrounding coral. Also, does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of bubble algae? I feel like I’m constantly removing it but I just keep seeing more & more. My battle against aptasia is also ongoing but I just keep going at it with aptasia x

2 hours ago, Dally said:

I might have to upgrade to a larger tank sooner than a I expected. I can’t get the torch in a place that it won’t sting some other surrounding coral. Also, does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of bubble algae? I feel like I’m constantly removing it but I just keep seeing more & more. My battle against aptasia is also ongoing but I just keep going at it with aptasia x

You can try a peppermint shrimp for aiptasia and an emerald crab for bubble.  

It's like six in one hand and half a dozen in the other.  Chemicals added to a tank to kill pests or additional life forms to eradicate pests increasing bioload?  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I’m sad to say that this tank took a turn for the worst. The worst part is that I’m not sure what went wrong. My corals all started looking bad, but the fish & inverts looked healthy. I tested the water, did multiple water changes, put in new carbon, looked for dead things, nothing seemed to help.

Then I went out of town for spring break, nervous to leave the tank alone without me there to fix whatever problems arose. When I came back, the glass was filthy, most of the corals were closed up, all of my anemones basically disintegrated, some snails had died, but the fish still looked healthy.

I moved what was left of the surviving coral over to my new UNS 5N nano, and the corals that survived are looking much better now. This tank will probably just become a bare bottom FOWLR tank. I might make it a reef again someday when I run out of room in the 5N and things stabilize.

Sad to see it go, but all good things must come to an end. It had a good year-long run. And I’m excited to start something new in my 5N. 

Very unfortunate to hear about the crash! I was amazed to see how vibrant and lovely the tank looked in the first few photos. Here's hoping that the next round ends up even better for you 🙂