Pod Your Reef

how to choose a light?

Friendly

there are just too many bloody options now...and most of them are damned expensive to boot.  :sideeyes:

AI, Kessil & NanoBox being the top choices...but how to choose? can you help me weight the pros and cons...I'm a bit overwhelmed.  😞 

the tank is going to be either an IM10, 20 or 30L...or if I decide to go with a sump, a 12, 22 or 33 gallon long.

2 years ago, I was thinking of the Current USA kit and link up the lights with the wave makers and create thunderstorms and waves and such...but I've grown up since then, not as much of a kid as I was back when I was only 37. being almost 40 now, I know better.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Friendly said:

there are just too many bloody options now...and most of them are damned expensive to boot.  :sideeyes:

AI, Kessil & NanoBox being the top choices...but how to choose? can you help me weight the pros and cons...I'm a bit overwhelmed.  😞 

the tank is going to be either an IM10, 20 or 30L...or if I decide to go with a sump, a 12, 22 or 33 gallon long.

2 years ago, I was thinking of the Current USA kit and link up the lights with the wave makers and create thunderstorms and waves and such...but I've grown up since then, not as much of a kid as I was back when I was only 37. being almost 40 now, I know better.  :rolleyes:

It comes down to preference and what you are growing.

I have the Current USA kit and used the older Pro version and they have been great for growing anything I want. 

BRS has great videos on the different types and brands of lighting. 

It really depends.

I have used budget lights with good results as well as AI prime with good results.

Depends on what important to you.

Controllability, spread, wattage or plug and play

• Like 1

well, I'm not planning on any coral that need experience...but of course, once I have some, I'll probably want something!  :happy:

and a word of advise I like to follow when it comes to stuff...buy what you need the first time, only the rich can afford to upgrade.  :somber: 

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

well, I'm not planning on any coral that need experience...but of course, once I have some, I'll probably want something!  :happy:

and a word of advise I like to follow when it comes to stuff...buy what you need the first time, only the rich can afford to upgrade.  :somber: 

Buy once cry once dude! You know it.😆

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

If you going for broke, just get the newest light which is the kessil 360x 

well, if I can tie up lighting control with the wave makers, etc, like Current USA, that would be preferential.  🙂 

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Following topic...I'm in a similar boat. When I first got into the hobby I picked up a led 10k with minimal actinic  from amazon for about 30 bucks. My few soft corals have been living for months now, but I wouldn't exactly describe any but the GSP as "thriving" per se. 

Now in the market to upgrade but the choices are overwhelming. A side by side of lit tanks, with brands, and pricing would be beyond helpful in the process.

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
On 2/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, Friendly said:

Ha! I'm turning 37 in 2 months and was heavily considering the Current USA.

A Little Blue

AI app can control both lighting and nero5 pumps. Not sure what benefits that provides? But it's an option if you wanna take that route. I own both, light and nero5 but I prefer Kessil. 

Most lights (in mid to high end) these days look good and perform well. So, it's more of a preference, tank size and budget thingy.  

18 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

AI app can control both lighting and nero5 pumps. Not sure what benefits that provides? But it's an option if you wanna take that route. I own both, light and nero5 but I prefer Kessil. 

Most lights (in mid to high end) these days look good and perform well. So, it's more of a preference, tank size and budget thingy.  

the benefit is for the aquarist only...they can put on shows where the lighting simulates lighting and the pumps create turbulence, or what the water would be like under a full moon or under just a cloudy day. it adds ambience.  :naughtydance:

on the side, can anyone refresh my memory on who makes a dimmable bulb like the ABI Tuna Blue?

I have a Kessil A80 and absolutely love it.  For tank your size you probably need two of those or a large one?  They aren't cheap, but so slick, dimming and "color/tone" options, totally water/salt proof, reliable, etc.  If you are patient and obsessively watch the classified posts, I have seen a few good deals here and there.  Always a risk associated there I know, but could save you a few bucks.  

If you are looking for a controllable wavemaker jeabo makes some good ones for super cheap. I mean they are Chinese crap but tons of people use them.. I would go that route then get a nice light.  As far as which light everyone will have a different option .. so here's mine

Nanobox is a good light have one on my biocube. You can control each color and intensity to your liking via the blue fish app. I'm not a fan of that app though.  Also note you can not turn on this light without the app! Small business and owner is a hell of a nice guy , but being small takes a little bit to get your light

AI prime is cheaper then the nanobox tons of people love them and grow corals great. Never used this light but app looks nice from videos . Has same control as nanobox. 

Kessil I have these on my rsr and like it a lot. Personally I like the lack of controlablity ha. There is one knob for color and one for intensity.(keeps it sinple)  Kinda pricey though and if you want to control them you also have to purchase their controller which is another 100 bucks.

3 hours ago, Weikel said:

If you are looking for a controllable wavemaker jeabo makes some good ones for super cheap. I mean they are Chinese crap but tons of people use them.. I would go that route then get a nice light.  As far as which light everyone will have a different option .. so here's mine

Nanobox is a good light have one on my biocube. You can control each color and intensity to your liking via the blue fish app. I'm not a fan of that app though.  Also note you can not turn on this light without the app! Small business and owner is a hell of a nice guy , but being small takes a little bit to get your light

AI prime is cheaper then the nanobox tons of people love them and grow corals great. Never used this light but app looks nice from videos . Has same control as nanobox. 

Kessil I have these on my rsr and like it a lot. Personally I like the lack of controlablity ha. There is one knob for color and one for intensity.(keeps it sinple)  Kinda pricey though and if you want to control them you also have to purchase their controller which is another 100 bucks.

Weikel makes some good points.  

I have seen and read nothing but good stuff about NanoBox.  They are arguable just as well made (and good looking!) as Kessil products.  I will add that you have to have the Kessil controller to control it remotely/with an app.  You can adjust the knobs on the unit itself manually.  They also sell the Kessil (I believe) with the flex arm if you already have an overhead "hanging" fixture setup or are willing to DIY a bit.  That can save a few dollars if need be.  

IMO there aren't any really bad reef lights out there...just need one sized and mounted right for your tank.

First decide what tank you're going for.

Then decide how much budget you want to apply to your lights.

Then decide what light looks good to you.  (Videos usually give a better representation if you can't look in-person.)

Then decide what "extras" your want on the lights, such as controllability, if any.

Then you're set to pull the trigger.

Corals all have the very similar light requirements....they all grow under the same sun after all.  :-)  So don't put too much energy into thinking about "beginner corals" or anything like that.  (Beginner corals are generally weed-like/invasive anyway.)  Figure out what corals you really like and just learn what/if any special care requirements there are. 

Generally the main difference is just between stony and non-stony corals though....so if you love stony corals you'll want to read up on dosing styles for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.  Not really any harder than feeding your fish to be honest, and unlike fish feeding, with corals you can use test kits to know the right amounts of everything to put in the tank -- takes the guesswork away!  Non-stony corals have more or less the same requirements as fish, aside from the lights and flow, so there's a little less to worry about with them.  :-)

• Like 1
On 2/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, mcarroll said:

IMO there aren't any really bad reef lights out there...just need one sized and mounted right for your tank.

First decide what tank you're going for.

Then decide how much budget you want to apply to your lights.

Then decide what light looks good to you.  (Videos usually give a better representation if you can't look in-person.)

Then decide what "extras" your want on the lights, such as controllability, if any.

Then you're set to pull the trigger.

Corals all have the very similar light requirements....they all grow under the same sun after all.  🙂 So don't put too much energy into thinking about "beginner corals" or anything like that.  (Beginner corals are generally weed-like/invasive anyway.)  Figure out what corals you really like and just learn what/if any special care requirements there are. 

Generally the main difference is just between stony and non-stony corals though....so if you love stony corals you'll want to read up on dosing styles for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.  Not really any harder than feeding your fish to be honest, and unlike fish feeding, with corals you can use test kits to know the right amounts of everything to put in the tank -- takes the guesswork away!  Non-stony corals have more or less the same requirements as fish, aside from the lights and flow, so there's a little less to worry about with them.  🙂

Great advice here, no need to sink a ton of cash if you don't really need it.  

11 hours ago, JBM said:

I had a fancy light (coral moon box) it did the job. Now i run a chinese black box led. It also does the job, at 1/2 the cost of the fancy one.

which cheap Chinese box are you running JBM?

40 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I'd really love to find some of those dimable Par38 bulbs...

Coral compulsion is the company that offer dimmable par38. They have a lot of options available

• Like 1

To me, thats considered cheap.  My set up came with 2, but one box, the blues dont work. Plus, its a shallow tank. So i run 1, hanging about 8" from the water line.

It lights the whole tank. No shadows. I havent borrowed a par meter. But judging by how my lps & anemone reacted. Its more then enough. Even with the blues at 30% and whites at 10%.

One day, when i see a stellar deal on a true 48" fixture, or 2 kessils ill pick it up. But im in no rush, or worried. I do not plan on running a sps dominated reef. Softies and lps are my thing. Mostly due to the fact that i put in anywhere between 60 & 90 hours a week at work. 

• Thanks 1