Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hi There - Downgrading to a 40B and need critiques

BarelyANano

Hi There,

I have a 120G tank that I'm looking to downgrade to a 40B due to cutting down on monthly maintenance costs and just general fatigue of having to QT so much. I have sold off most of my fish at this point and working on the 40B build. Here is my current plan:

Equipment Setup:

40B Aquaeon Tank
20G High Sump
Jax.Racks Fuge Sump Baffle Kit
Fiji Cube 600 GPH Overflow Box
Bubble Magus Elite Curve 5 Skimmer
About 50 lbs of mature Marco Rock from my 120G (this rock is from my 120G - it has coralline, pods, etc)
About 20-30 lbs of new sand (probably going to use that "live sand" ocean direct or tropic marin stuff - I've been advised not to use my current display tank sand
EFLUX 1000 GPH DC Return Pump (I am considering ole school AC like a Eheim Compacton)
2x Return with VCA's
1 Jabeo SOW-4
Tunza Oz (From my 120G)
5.5 G Glass ATO Container from Fiji Cube
Aquamaxx Prism 36-48" LED 72W
Oxygenator A Model - in sump
Fuge light from my 120G with Ulva L and rocks
UPS hooked to my Jabeo SOW-4 for power backup (from my 120G)
Manually dosing for now - but eventually we get a new doser probably the Kamor mini bluetooths x2

Coral setup:

I currently have LPS and Soft corals and that is my long-term plan. I have no interest in SPS corals. Currently left in my 120G (I sold several corals I wasn't keeping for this build). These corals are mostly small

- Frogspawn
- Toxic Green Hammer Coral
- Neon Green Mushroom Leather Coral
- Several Ricordia Floridas
- Several Rodactus Mushrooms
- Brown photosynethic Gorgorians
- Several small Acan Lords

At this point, I will likely just add some more Floridas, more frogspawns/hammer corals, and maybe some red/yellow zoas. I have considered a pulsing xenia --- but I'm aware of their takeover capabilities.

Fish/Invert Setup:

I sold most of my fish from the 120G, but have several I would like to transfer over. All my corals and fish have been fully QT'ed so another reason to move them over:

2 Azure Damsels
1 Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
1 Orchid Dottyback
A fairy sizable CUC with micro hermits/various snails from Indo Pacific Sea Farms

My long-term stocking plan to add is:

1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Orange Spot Blenny
1 Black Clown or Black Snowflake Clown

I have a 29G QT that is seeded so I'm ready to QT all 3 fish at once. 

I will also add a blood shrimp and female emerald crab when I QT the last batch of corals. The new corals and inverts will be added after the new fish are in and the tank nutrient levels stabilize etc.

Questions:

1) Does my equipment plan make sense given the plan? - My current 120B has similar equipment and honestly I didn't really need to do water changes because my parameter stayed super low so I was dosing nitrates and phosphates to maintain levels along with trace elements and two part

2) I will be running both tanks at the same time until I fully transfer everything. How quickly can I transfer my corals and fish?

3) Does my fish stocking plan make sense? Do I need to worry about aggression? I'm trying to avoid a pair of clowns as my last female that was paired was highly aggressive

You can transfer everything in 1 day since you are using established rock.

I used an aquamaxx nemolight on my 10g. It was ok. Nice colour pop but I didn't have much growth and some corals bleached under it, the ones in the upper levels.

My leathers and xenia did well and grew alot but my lps didn't.

Once I changed light I had an explosion of growth.

I can't comment on the skimmers and such as I don't use one.

Otherwise everything seems good.

I would check on the fish compatability on liveaquaria.com

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You can transfer everything in 1 day since you are using established rock.

I used an aquamaxx nemolight on my 10g. It was ok. Nice colour pop but I didn't have much growth and some corals bleached under it, the ones in the upper levels.

My leathers and xenia did well and grew alot but my lps didn't.

Once I changed light I had an explosion of growth.

I can't comment on the skimmers and such as I don't use one.

Otherwise everything seems good.

I would check on the fish compatability on liveaquaria.com

Hi there. I checked the compatibility on another popular forum and the mods there said I should be okay overall. The nemolight I heard is less powerful than the prisms (the prisms are rebranded Micmols if I recall correctly).

Right now in my main tank I have Current Marine IC Pros x2 and my Frogspawns, Hammers, and Acans seem to like it. The equivalent for a 36" tank is about $300. I started thinking of alternatives because I figured with $300 I should be able to get something better --- maybe dual AI Primes, but I think the coverage wouldn't be there fully. 4x T5s could be an option to I guess. I'm not a fan of black boxes because they have to be hung on the ceiling to look clean and I don't really want to hang those on the ceiling. If you have other options that might work on the light let me know.

I've actually been looking more and more into T5s. I see that the Aquatic Life Hybrid seems pretty reasonable in price, but I only want to run the T5s for now. Are their any 36" T5s available on the market that can mount like the aquatic life hybrids? It seems rare these days.