Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

? on salinity

sadie

Has anyone had a problem with their salinity going DOWN over a couple days?  Every now and then when I test it, (with a refractometer), sometimes it's actually LOWER. 

My refractometer was 15 yrs old.  I paid $75.00 for it back then.  I purchased a new one for $30 a couple years ago.  I calibrate it with the solution. 

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before.

If you add too much water from topping up that will happen, if the ato is adding too much it will happen.

If salinity doesn't match during waterchanges it will also happen.

• Like 2

I don't top off very often.  I ALWAYS check my salinity of fresh made water to tank water, so maybe I will have to purchase a new refractometer.   I was a little nervous of the one I bought, it was so much lighter and cheaper in price then my old one.

Thanks

The only time my refractometer was acting up was when I used to rinse the tip off at the faucet between checks. I guess the cold water would chill the body/lens/prism of it and change what it displayed. 

Now I store it at room temp, and just wipe the lens and flap with a piece of paper towel. 

• Like 2