inTank Media Baskets

5 Gallon nano reef tank

D4rkAngel

Hi,

I'm pretty new to nano reef tank and I have a 5 gallon tank, Aquaclear 20, fluval CP1 powerhead an old JbJ 12 reef pump and a 25 Watt heater lying in the basement and wanted to start a nano reef tank with that.
The other thing i will need is a LED light cause I only light for freshwater tanks and I want to grow some soft corals later and add some live rocks.

I have a bag of Fiji pink sand too.

Do you guys think I have everything to start a nano reef tank ?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome

Yes, there are many ways to run a reef tank.

The most important is doing a lot of research.

Liverock is your biological filtration so it's part of setting up from the beginning and cycling the tank properly.

Is it a standard 5g? 

Most will recommend a larger filter but the

ac20 will work, you just want to use custom media, not stock media.

Sponges aren't recommended in saltwater as they absorb lots of crap and even when washed regularly they become nutrient traps.

Running a good carbon and filter floss is most common. 

The flow from the filter and 1 powerhead shouldn be plenty. What is the gph on the powerhead?

As for lighting, there are a lot of options but budgets are important to consider as well.

Here is a list of lights that are popular in various costs.

Hipargero

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0727V8C5Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Abi  par38

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD

Kessil a80

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a80-tuna-blue-nano-led-light-kessil.html

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, it's a standard 5g.
I read that many people were using a AC70.

I was thinking about floss and a chemi-pure blue or elite for the carbon.

The Fluval CP1 is a 265gph and the jbj 12g pump is a 400L/PH so it's like 106gph but seems more powerfull .

The Hipargero i saw some good review about it but i will need to put the filter on the side or need a customer holder for the light behind the tank.

I currently use the Aqua Knight Hipargero and it's great. I'm running it on a 3 gallon with an AC70 refugium. I actually have my light clamped to the back of my AC70. I also taped up my AC70 with a nice high end duct tape and so far it's enough to hold it in place.

That's a link to the exact same chaeto reactor I made and it is working amazingly. I only run filter floss and chaeto.

• Like 3

Well, I'm about to buy a AC50 now so with that I can do a refugium.
It will fit on the side of the tank because the AC70 is too large and cost more.

Do I still need a powerhead and leave the flow at Max on the filter ?

Now for the lights I was thinking about the Hipargero or the Abi par38 bulbs but I will need a clamp.

Well, plans have changed !

So instead of a 5 gallon tank, I got a Fluval Flex 9 gallon for free, it doesn't have the top, light, pump or any media, tank only.

I think I'm gonna cut the back plastic panel sealant so i can fit my AC50.

Plus i found a nice LED light which is a Pixie 30.

It's a full spectrum, comes with a remote and i have seen some good review about it.

Coral seems to like it pretty much so ill give it a try.

http://www.luminiaqua-usa.com/shop/pixie30-coral-reef-aquarium-light/

20190212_221059.thumb.jpg.4a49e50b43223ce9420c9731605d1ebf.jpg20190212_220933.thumb.jpg.0ad35138c4b3d1c3723b6097c431ed49.jpg

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
3 hours ago, Friendly said:

what would restrict it to fresh water only? that's an odd spec...  :huh:

To me it looks like fluval calls it "marine" or "freshwater" depending on the led lighting most of the time. Like you said other than that can't see why else it'd be restricted. 

I already saw a saltwater tank with a Fluval flex but you need to change the light.

But mine didn't have anything, only the tank but i already have the light.

My AC50 won't fit because of the black panel so i will have the cut the sealant and take it out.

The only thing about the flex that restricts it to freshwater is the original light. Same thing with the Fluval Spec.

The fluval flex light is for plants, the Evo comes with lights for marine

You have a light so there is no issue.

You could keep it as an aio, just need to get a pump, diy a media basket. This allows you to hide everything in the back, including heater.

I just bought that AC50 damn lol.

Which pump are you suggesting me that will fit in there ?

I guest in the left container i could put like floss and second one a chemi-pure blue and... floss again or some chaeto ?

The third one will be the heater and the pump.
I will need a nozzle with a pipe tubing.

3 hours ago, D4rkAngel said:

I just bought that AC50 damn lol.

Which pump are you suggesting me that will fit in there ?

I guest in the left container i could put like floss and second one a chemi-pure blue and... floss again or some chaeto ?

The third one will be the heater and the pump.
I will need a nozzle with a pipe tubing.

You can return the aquaclear.

Make or buy a media basket which goes into the chamber where the overflow is. Then the media is placed in each shelf of the basket.

The only safe way to place a heater in the chamber with the return pump is when using an ato, otherwise it is not advised to do so so you could put it in another chamber.

As for pumps, depends on  dimensions.

The aqueons are fairly small, sicce and eheim have smaller models too. You'd need to measure it.

Nozzles and pipes can be ordered from most online reef supplies. You just need to know the diameter.

You could also contact fluval who most likely can advise on sizes or sell/replace the nozzle and hose.

Great looking tank!  That back chamber is perfect for media and equipment!  

You have been given several good recommendations above.  I will add Eheim pumps, while more expensive, are phenomenal (German engineering) and will not disappoint. 

As far as the light and "odd" freshwater designation that is purely marketing, but is talking about the light.  It looks like 7 watts, which is no where near enough for corals, but would be fine for a basic freshwater tank where you just need to see the fish and maybe grow a few plants.  

I'm selling a very compact heater in the classified/hardware section if you are interested -- Aqua Clear Heater

Good luck and post some pics when you get it set up further!

The dimensions for the pump chamber is 4.5 x 2.8 1/8
I just saw an Eheim CompactON 600 will it be enough ?

I have a 25W heater but i think i will need a 50W but not sure.

For the nozzle, the fluval one you need to screw it into the return pipe...

For the DIY media basket, i will use some egg crate but stick them together can i use like a marine sealant ?

Here a photo of the chambers.
I know, i won't use a sponge.

What you guys suggest from right to left ?

1st: Floss, Chemi-pure blue
2nd: Chaeto or bio balls

image.png.f390275483401cd22450a881c9d9f8d5.png