Top Shelf Aquatics

Project: Caribbean Lagoon

righttirefire

righttirefire

The bait krill is back in the entrance of a possible mantis den... but its been there almost 3 hours without any attention. Not even the Nassarius showed intrest

• Haha 1
righttirefire

How about a real up date?

Ive been using an ammonia alert badge and "testing" ammonia levels, since i added live sand hoping to shorten the cycle oh the live rock. 

Last I tested the level was below 0.015. The alert badge had gone up to 0.02 or so I suspected.

Last night the badge was back to 0.0 and I did the standard 5 gal tuesday waterchange. Nitrates before the WC were at 16ppm. So I thinking everything is well

The mithrax crab didnt make the transitionn but the snails and hermits are doing fine.

I believe I've located den of the Mantis, so I buried back in its holes to see if it would rebuild.

The light cycle currently is natural room light, plus about 4 hours of t5 "sun" like 6500k full spectrum.

• Like 1
righttirefire

And what the hell is this? My fear is a bobbit worm.

I dug at it with my forceps and it retreated back into the sand to not be discovered

20190504_143523.jpg

20190504_143632.jpg

righttirefire

It was a little anenome I finally got it captured.

Ive been hunting all day.

Added krill to a bottle trap. No luck.

It mocked me from a different rock. I guess I better it to eat for me so i can relocate it.

20190505_093929.jpg

20190505_120119.jpg

• Like 1

Its found its new home.............it likes you............

Says nope not wanting to head to spectas place......................

righttirefire

Bottle trap still empty this morning... except for the krill. I guess tonight that worthless trap will come out

righttirefire

Finally the worm is out. It had some shock and lost about half itself.

But tonight it was big out and open

20190507_201014.jpg

• Like 2
righttirefire

@spectra, well there is a serious lack of snails and hermits from yesterday to today. MIA two ceriths and two hermits from last night to tonight. 

You need to come get this terror.

@pgrVII I know you have clowns with your mantis Im thinking about adding a Royal Gramma to mine for some color and movement. It was always on the stocking list for this tank, but i dont think the jawfish would fair well with a mantis.

Current plan, Royal Gramma and RFA before the weekend. And Im thinking @Got Corals for a 10 pack of their RFAs, but @SaltCritters has some beautiful WYSIWYG RFAs

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

@spectra, well there is a serious lack of snails and hermits from yesterday to today. MIA two ceriths and two hermits from last night to tonight. 

You need to come get this terror.

@pgrVII I know you have clowns with your mantis Im thinking about adding a Royal Gramma to mine for some color and movement. It was always on the stocking list for this tank, but i dont think the jawfish would fair well with a mantis.

Current plan, Royal Gramma and RFA before the weekend. And Im thinking @Got Corals for a 10 pack of their RFAs, but @SaltCritters has some beautiful WYSIWYG RFAs

Yea it's definitely a crap shoot,I feed Jables alot so hopefully it cuts down his want to club the fishes. They are active and he mostly keeps to himself on his side but he will come sit on the other rock and chill with the cleaner shrimp and the clowns. 

10 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

Royal Gramma in a bag. Soon to be added.

Not paying for it when the mantis eats it...................nope no way :lol:

righttirefire

Finally a real update. The tank lights are programmed and running. All the wires are everywhere. But everything is hooked up.

1 hermit and 1 cerith have reappeared. 

Added an emerald crab, for the one bubble of algea, another nassarius snail, I want to believe the original has become mantis food, and RFA! Ive been looking at this RFA for over 2 months and finally bite the bullet and bought the overpriced bastard.

Happy Mothers Day Princess, I got you a flower.

The mantis has been captured. The sound of the basher against the plastic container was scary loud.

Does that count as FTS? The Royal Gramma has been hiding since last night.

20190510_163040.jpg

20190510_183047.jpg

20190510_183052.jpg

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, righttirefire said:

Happy Mothers Day Princess, I got you a flower.

First invert is in, and that means the biotope begins! This nice low-relief 'scape is begging to be covered in gorgs. Can't wait to see which ones you get.

Planning on getting some macros too or just softies and jawfish?

righttirefire
13 minutes ago, billygoat said:

First invert is in, and that means the biotope begins! This nice low-relief 'scape is begging to be covered in gorgs. Can't wait to see which ones you get.

Planning on getting some macros too or just softies and jawfish?

I was hoping to have more macro on the rock. But yes. I plan to have macro. And photo gorgs. Just havent made a solid decision yet. Need to get a 10 pack of RFAs coming in a couple months.

• Like 2
righttirefire

Feeding:

I mix 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, reef plankton, and rolifers into a 2 oz cup. Add a little tank water. Once thawed, I turn off the return pump, but leave the MP10 on, and squirt a partical pipette of the mixture in front of the mp10 and let if blow around the tank.

The RFA grabbed something out of the water column and the Royal jetted out 3 times that I saw after food. 

After 10-15 I turn the return pump back on.

righttirefire

Well @SaltCritters is going to make it happen.

9 RFAs set for Wednesday delivery. At $25 ea and free shipping over $200. Its one of the more economical choices for WYSIWYG. I gave the princess a list of about 15. We agreed on 6. And had 4 additional possibilities, so we let the demon choose 3 of those 4.

Preview you ask?

20190511_182409.jpg

20190511_182103.jpg

• Like 3
righttirefire
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

I like them!! No yellow colored ones?? Been wanting to get a few myself but have never kept them🤔

With the heavy blue in those pics its difficult to tell how yellow or green they be under my lights.

The one I bought at the LFS had yellow but with my lighting so low its not really yellow

From all the RFAs I've had and seen yellow can be a difficult color. Pale and faint. 

• Like 2
righttirefire

Bouquet of flowers.

Lights will ramp in 15 minutes. 

Flow will start 15 minutes after

Lights are dialed down to 20 white / 40 royal, cyan, and uv.

20190515_104633.jpg

• Like 2
righttirefire

I hate messing with anenomes especially when they're new to a system, but theyre struggling to attach in the sand. When the return pump was turned on the ones not attached to the blew around.

I shut off the pump and put all the RFAs on the rock and will allow them to try and attach again with the flow off.

The Royal Gramma seems to like the flow off, out and adventuring. Until I walk up to the tank, and into hiding it goes

20190515_112335.jpg

• Like 2