Pod Your Reef

Project: Caribbean Lagoon

righttirefire

righttirefire

And in other news. Look who else came along. Apparently it had left the rock and was laying in the bag. So the princess put it in the bucket of water removed from the tank. Im sure that water is cooling off to about 70 degrees by now.

But what to do if its still alive when I get home.

20190425_122029.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

And in other news. Look who else came along. Apparently it had left the rock and was laying in the bag. So the princess put it in the bucket of water removed from the tank. Im sure that water is cooling off to about 70 degrees by now.

But what to do if its still alive when I get home.

20190425_122029.jpg

Keep it, it’s cute. 

• Like 1
righttirefire

I think the mantis is going to live with uncle @spectra

T

A blanket of causalities, 3 snapping shrimp, and a red mithrax crab

But look who else showed up alive

20190425_151746.jpg

20190425_154938.jpg

20190425_155933.jpg

righttirefire

Not yet! But I'm workig on it. It found residence under a rock. Only its head is visible. But it did come out to say good morning before retreating back into its cave.

• Like 2
righttirefire
58 minutes ago, William said:

What species of mantis is it 

The aquatic species...

Sorry William I havent spent a lot of time looking into that. 

Its a basher, mostly green with a blue underbelly.

Sounds like uncle @spectra is going to come get it this weekend. 

I'll be divorce country if i set up another tank. And it cant stay in the lagoon. It would be banished to the sump of my 20 or given to LFS, or rehomed locally.

20190425_181504.jpg

20190425_151718.jpg

• Like 1
righttirefire

I defrosted some krill. And couldnt find the mantis.

I moved and turned all the rocks. So i may do some midnight hunting.

• Sad 1
righttirefire
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

you lost it.................really one job keep it alive and now its gone :rolleyes:

Come on down we'll find it

1 minute ago, righttirefire said:

Come on down we'll find it

I need confirmation on life..........

Dont want to wake the princess up for no reason...............

righttirefire
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

I need confirmation on life..........

Dont want to wake the princess up for no reason...............

Why not. Thats my favorite thing to do

• Haha 1
righttirefire

So I think the ammonia alert was registering 0.05 ppm. I know they recommend about a 30% WC every 2 or 3 days to help the cycle and keep the ammonia levels in a "tolerable" range. I removed all the rock and searched for the mantis. But its no where to be found @pgrVII any suggestions or @Snow_Phoenix arent you an experienced mantis owner?

Id sure like to locate it and be able to rehome it to @spectra

20190427_123935.jpg

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, righttirefire said:

So I think the ammonia alert was registering 0.05 ppm. I know they recommend about a 30% WC every 2 or 3 days to help the cycle and keep the ammonia levels in a "tolerable" range. I removed all the rock and searched for the mantis. But its no where to be found @pgrVII any suggestions or @Snow_Phoenix arent you an experienced mantis owner?

Id sure like to locate it and be able to rehome it to @spectra

20190427_123935.jpg

It may/may not still be alive. Mantises can be hardy in general and if it is a smasher, it could have very well tunneled into one of your LR pieces to either stay hidden or molt. 

The only thing you can do is wait to see if it pops up again. If it is molting, you will not see or hear it for 2 weeks or so. But if it is still alive and hiding, then the quickest way to be certain of its existence is to get some CUC and observe if any of your snails or hermits go missing. If yes, then the mantis most likely made it. 

You'll have to lure it back out to catch it, or deport it and the LR it's hiding in once you have discovered where exactly its burrowed into. The quickest way to recatch it is to net it while its actively prowling your tank for food. But even then, mantises can move very quickly so you'll have to be fast. 

• Like 2
righttirefire
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

It may/may not still be alive. Mantises can be hardy in general and if it is a smasher, it could have very well tunneled into one of your LR pieces to either stay hidden or molt. 

The only thing you can do is wait to see if it pops up again. If it is molting, you will not see or hear it for 2 weeks or so. But if it is still alive and hiding, then the quickest way to be certain of its existence is to get some CUC and observe if any of your snails or hermits go missing. If yes, then the mantis most likely made it. 

You'll have to lure it back out to catch it, or deport it and the LR it's hiding in once you have discovered where exactly its burrowed into. The quickest way to recatch it is to net it while its actively prowling your tank for food. But even then, mantises can move very quickly so you'll have to be fast. 

I appreciate you input. That happens to be my plan. I will add a couple ceriths and hermits. It didnt come out with krill in the tank for over an hour yesterday.

But id like to give it a food source and see if I can narrow down my hunt area. If not ill need a cuc to clean up these rocks.

• Like 2
Just now, righttirefire said:

Alright @spectra $20 in mantis bait.

2 Blue-legged Hermits

2 - Ceriths

1 - Astrea

1 - Nassarius

1 - Nerite

1 - Red Mithrax Crab

You got overcharged................