Coral Vue Hydros

Haitian/Pink Tip Condy anemone compatibility?

Zane W

I recently impulse bought a beautiful red, pink tip condy, and was wondering if the condy could be housed with others later on? I personally would like to get some rock flowers in the future or bubble tips. (I'm currently acclimating, Hopefully, my clowns will host, I know not all will)

Edited by Zane W
Spelling

I know some folks claim to keep clowns with Condy's, but I've seen a Condy sting a clown to death....proceed at risk if you must.

I doubt the anemones will bother each other, but maybe someone else will weigh in with a different opinion.   :-)

No experience with a condy in particular, but you have more than a decent shot of them being near other anemones without them fighting. My maxi-minis, BTAs, and RFAs (and even ricordea) don't bother each other and live within inches (or less) of each other. They moved around a few inches until they all found a happy medium.

The good thing about anemones is that if they get pissed off, they can just pick up and walk away, so they normally don't kill each other. They generally just irritate each other until one takes a hike - or just live peacefully.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, mcarroll said:

I know some folks claim to keep clowns with Condy's, but I've seen a Condy sting a clown to death....proceed at risk if you must.

I doubt the anemones will bother each other, but maybe someone else will weigh in with a different opinion.   🙂

On 2/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, jservedio said:

No experience with a condy in particular, but you have more than a decent shot of them being near other anemones without them fighting. My maxi-minis, BTAs, and RFAs (and even ricordea) don't bother each other and live within inches (or less) of each other. They moved around a few inches until they all found a happy medium.

The good thing about anemones is that if they get pissed off, they can just pick up and walk away, so they normally don't kill each other. They generally just irritate each other until one takes a hike - or just live peacefully.

So, my anenome opened up and I did some more research and it turns out it was actually a magnificient sea anenome (or ritters if you go by tthe old names) and is doing really good, my three spot damsels are loving it! Is there any advice with these?

6 hours ago, Zane W said:

So, my anenome opened up and I did some more research and it turns out it was actually a magnificient sea anenome (or ritters if you go by tthe old names) and is doing really good, my three spot damsels are loving it! Is there any advice with these?

How big is your tank? They get enormous - like 12-18" across in home aquariums, sometimes more than 3 feet across on the wild. They are also very hard to keep and considered "expert only."

15 hours ago, jservedio said:

How big is your tank? They get enormous - like 12-18" across in home aquariums, sometimes more than 3 feet across on the wild. They are also very hard to keep and considered "expert only."

Itś currently in a 14 gllon biocube. When it starts getting to big it will be moved to my dads frag tank, 60 gallon

Just now, Zane W said:

Itś currently in a 14 gllon biocube. When it starts getting to big it will be moved to my dads frag tank, 60 gallon

Honestly not tryin to be that guy,but,if its a true magnificent anemone, you should return it to the LFS. Not suitable for a 14 gallon and they stress easy. So even with the "eventual" move to the frag tank,it very well will wander and sting everything in its path once it moves,plus,moving it again wont at all make it happy having to readjust to another system,again. Just my .02 so take it for what its worth and good luck!

21 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Honestly not tryin to be that guy,but,if its a true magnificent anemone, you should return it to the LFS. Not suitable for a 14 gallon and they stress easy. So even with the "eventual" move to the frag tank,it very well will wander and sting everything in its path once it moves,plus,moving it again wont at all make it happy having to readjust to another system,again. Just my .02 so take it for what its worth and good luck!

I wouldtake it back but, i got it from a petco, and its already past its return,and currently is doing very good but if anything happens its going to be slowly acclimated and placed into the frag. I know its not the best to have that anenome, but it wasnt even what i wanted 😞

4 minutes ago, Zane W said:

I wouldtake it back but, i got it from a petco, and its already past its return,and currently is doing very good but if anything happens its going to be slowly acclimated and placed into the frag. I know its not the best to have that anenome, but it wasnt even what i wanted 😞

Good luck!

36 minutes ago, Zane W said:

Don't wait for it to get bigger - you need to get it out of there now if you want any shot of keeping it alive. As it grows, it'll only get more and more difficult to move successfully.

For reference we have a few extremely experienced reefers locally who have kept large nems (magnificents, carpets, and haddonis), and all of them built their reefs entirely around the nem (two 60 cubes and a 90 cube). They had only the nem in there for more close to a year and then slowly introduced other corals around it. Even then, they had mixed success with a tanks dedicated just to the nem. Everyone who had long term success had haddonis.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Don't wait for it to get bigger - you need to get it out of there now if you want any shot of keeping it alive. As it grows, it'll only get more and more difficult to move successfully.

For reference we have a few extremely experienced reefers locally who have kept large nems (magnificents, carpets, and haddonis), and all of them built their reefs entirely around the nem (two 60 cubes and a 90 cube). They had only the nem in there for more close to a year and then slowly introduced other corals around it. Even then, they had mixed success with a tanks dedicated just to the nem. Everyone who had long term success had haddonis.

The rock is going to be removed with it, as its not a critical part of the scape

2 minutes ago, Zane W said:

The rock is going to be removed with it, as its not a critical part of the scape

What makes you think it's not going to move as it grows? If you can remove the rock with the nem on it, do it now.

1 hour ago, jservedio said:

What makes you think it's not going to move as it grows? If you can remove the rock with the nem on it, do it now.

Is there any coral or other nem they are incompatible with?

1 hour ago, Zane W said:

Is there any coral or other nem they are incompatible with?

Yes - the big anemones (ritteri, haddoni, gigantea) need at least 12" of space between them and all other anemones and need at least 2-3 feet between them and other big anemones. They have a powerful sting compared to other anemones and will wreck any corals they come in contact with. You need to really research them if you are going to keep them - they are nothing like keeping RBTAs, LTAs, Condy's, RFAs, Mini-Maxi's, etc. - there is a reason these things are considered "Expert Only", compared to all the others I listed that are trivial to keep, and they really need either a huge tank, or a moderate sized tank that is dedicated to them - they simply can't live in nanos.

One of our LFS keeps a haddoni they've had for at least 6 or 7 years (possibly longer, it's been there since the first time I was there) in a tank that has got to be around 800g that's packed to the gills with a huge variety of giant SPS colonies, yet it has what must be a 36"x24" area entirely to itself.

2 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Yes - the big anemones (ritteri, haddoni, gigantea) need at least 12" of space between them and all other anemones and need at least 2-3 feet between them and other big anemones. They have a powerful sting compared to other anemones and will wreck any corals they come in contact with. You need to really research them if you are going to keep them - they are nothing like keeping RBTAs, LTAs, Condy's, RFAs, Mini-Maxi's, etc. - there is a reason these things are considered "Expert Only", compared to all the others I listed that are trivial to keep, and they really need either a huge tank, or a moderate sized tank that is dedicated to them - they simply can't live in nanos.

One of our LFS keeps a haddoni they've had for at least 6 or 7 years (possibly longer, it's been there since the first time I was there) in a tank that has got to be around 800g that's packed to the gills with a huge variety of giant SPS colonies, yet it has what must be a 36"x24" area entirely to itself.

Itś only 2 inches in diameter by itself rn, can i keep it any longer in there or should i move it soon, 

3 minutes ago, Zane W said:

Itś only 2 inches in diameter by itself rn, can i keep it any longer in there or should i move it soon, 

If it were me, I would find a new home for it ASAP or build a dedicated big-nem tank, and not just tossing it in a 60g frag tank that it can wreak havoc on. There are always people looking for big nems and finding a home shouldn't be particularly difficult, especially in southern California.

Are you absolutely sure that's what it is? Do you have a picture of it? A typical hatian pink-tip condy is like $20, even a plain ritteri is going to be $100 - if it is actually a ritteri, you can easily recoup your cost.

7 minutes ago, jservedio said:

If it were me, I would find a new home for it ASAP or build a dedicated big-nem tank, and not just tossing it in a 60g frag tank that it can wreak havoc on. There are always people looking for big nems and finding a home shouldn't be particularly difficult, especially in southern California.

Are you absolutely sure that's what it is? Do you have a picture of it? A typical hatian pink-tip condy is like $20, even a plain ritteri is going to be $100 - if it is actually a ritteri, you can easily recoup your cost.

Iḿ 99.9% sure it is a magnificient anenome, I will try to get a picture later, it has gree tips with tan/green tentacles and tan base. It even hosts my Three spot damselsno problem, it also has a purple foot, as suggested by the name. When at petco it was under the shop light flourescents that they have it looked different but under my hybrid, it is the same color as most ritters seen (heres a picture of one with simialar colors)

It has short robust tentacles surrounding the entirity, unlike condylactus and haitian anenome with long flowy tentacles surrounding mostly the outer edges. It also is a baby so only the size of the bottom of a pint glass or tennis ball.

This one.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Zane W said:

Iḿ 99.9% sure it is a magnificient anenome, I will try to get a picture later, it has gree tips with tan/green tentacles and tan base. It even hosts my Three spot damselsno problem, it also has a purple foot, as suggested by the name. When at petco it was under the shop light flourescents that they have it looked different but under my hybrid, it is the same color as most ritters seen (heres a picture of one with simialar colors)

It has short robust tentacles surrounding the entirity, unlike condylactus and haitian anenome with long flowy tentacles surrounding mostly the outer edges. 

This one.jpeg

Definitely don't go by coloration, Condy's come in a whole host of colors. Sebae also look fairly similar to ritteri fwiw. Definitely get a picture.

13 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Definitely don't go by coloration, Condy's come in a whole host of colors. Sebae also look fairly similar to ritteri fwiw. Definitely get a picture.

Have you ever seen a condylactus with green tips in real life or a picture?
Also Heteractis magnifica is literally called Purple Foot anenome, and it has a purple foot within my tank

48 minutes ago, Zane W said:

It could also be a sebae like this one, but doubt as there is no evidence i can find of sebaes with purple foot

this one again.jpg

It's impossible to tell from your pictures, white light would help a lot. If fish are in it, likely not a condy. Though condy do have red feet which could certainly look purple.

Sebae (h. crispa and h. malu) I've seen all kinds of color on the feet - even neon yellow to bright red feet and everything in between.

Definitely can't rule out ritteri from pictures, but could be sebae.

Others may be able to tell better.

2 minutes ago, jservedio said:

It's impossible to tell from your pictures, white light would help a lot. If fish are in it, likely not a condy. Though condy do have red feet which could certainly look purple.

Sebae (h. crispa and h. malu) I've seen all kinds of color on the feet - even neon yellow to bright red feet and everything in between.

Definitely can't rule out ritteri from pictures, but could be sebae.

Others may be able to tell better.

im currently waiting to get a new white/blue bulb as my current one burnt out 

and my dad took the pictures so they ar pretty shaky

23 minutes ago, Zane W said:

im currently waiting to get a new white/blue bulb as my current one burnt out 

and my dad took the pictures so they ar pretty shaky

Btw If you've got the standard biocube PC lights over it, even if they weren't blown out, that's not enough light for either a sebae or ritteri. Also, if it is a ritteri they require pristine water. Far cleaner than most modern dps tanks.

btw also fyi just adding too, I also have a par 38 on stand by, and my tank peramters are very pristine. An im setting up a chaeto reactor tommorow to help. Thank you for your help good day.