inTank Media Baskets

Critique of my aquascape

JaysonDenver

Hey everyone,

I'm new to nanoreef and fairly new to the saltwater world. In the past I have kept an aqueon 15 gallon column fowlr with a clown which was the biggest headache of a tank I could ever have imagined. 3 years later I now have my own place in downtown Denver and am ready to do this again the right way. 

I was hoping everyone interested in doing so could chime in and give me an honest critique of my aquascape. I read one of the posts on here about the law of thirds and tried to follow that. I don't want dead spots and want to be able to keep all of my glass clean. I plan on apoxying everything down when I'm 100% certain in how it will be. Let know your thoughts! Thanks for any help!

Jayson

IMG_20190201_201223058.jpg

IMG_20190201_201231243.jpg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, JaysonDenver said:

Hey everyone,

I'm new to nanoreef and fairly new to the saltwater world. In the past I have kept an aqueon 15 gallon column fowlr with a clown which was the biggest headache of a tank I could ever have imagined. 3 years later I now have my own place in downtown Denver and am ready to do this again the right way. 

I was hoping everyone interested in doing so could chime in and give me an honest critique of my aquascape. I read one of the posts on here about the law of thirds and tried to follow that. I don't want dead spots and want to be able to keep all of my glass clean. I plan on apoxying everything down when I'm 100% certain in how it will be. Let know your thoughts! Thanks for any help!

Jayson

IMG_20190201_201223058.jpg

IMG_20190201_201231243.jpg

Welcome to NR! 😊

i think it looks nice. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome to NR! 😊

i think it looks nice.

Thanks! I'm excited to get it cycling. Do you think there is too much space on the left of the tank?

• Like 2
Just now, JaysonDenver said:

Thanks! I'm excited to get it cycling. Do you think there is too much space on the left of the tank?

I think it’s perfect....... gives you room for corals in the sand like an open brain or elegance.....something like that. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I think it’s perfect....... gives you room for corals in the sand like an open brain or elegance.....something like that. 

I really like that idea. I appreciate your input!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love that arch! A lot of open space too - plenty of room to put more corals and for the fish to swim. I think it looks good. Welcome to NR, btw! 🙂 

Thank you! Im worried about the arch collasping from water movement, do you think a reef safe apoxy will be enough to hold it? Its not loose by any means but not sure how it will withstand a power head or two and seachem tidal filter

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yes, epoxy it because when you get a CUC in the future, especially a hermit, they'll climb all over it and might cause it to topple over. 

Very good point.

I got excited and decided to figure out my aquascape before setting up my stand so I'm just hoping I can figure out how to set it up like this again haha

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JaysonDenver said:

Very good point.

I got excited and decided to figure out my aquascape before setting up my stand so I'm just hoping I can figure out how to set it up like this again haha

Epoxy the arch together and you can move it as one peice. Is the rock on the left side a singe or multiple? If multiple just do the same. Once epoxy cures its all one rock for all intents and purposes. Just be gentle picking it up and moving it and you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

Looks great, I love it. I didn’t have very good luck with epoxy in my tank though... mine came apart a few times in the beginning... maybe people can offer some tips on how to make it really sturdy? 

27 minutes ago, Slim64684 said:

Epoxy the arch together and you can move it as one peice. Is the rock on the left side a singe or multiple? If multiple just do the same. Once epoxy cures its all one rock for all intents and purposes. Just be gentle picking it up and moving it and you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah the left rock is actually two pieces. That's a really good idea about gluing the arch together and then the left side as well. Thanks for the advice!

24 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great, I love it. I didn’t have very good luck with epoxy in my tank though... mine came apart a few times in the beginning... maybe people can offer some tips on how to make it really sturdy? 

How much epoxy did you use?

I think you could use some more rock in it. Fish like more rock, plus it's more room to mount corals. 

Maybe add more height to the left side as well.

• Like 1
skyscraper2290

Do you have a desired stocking plan yet? Corals, fish, inverts? Based on what you want to keep, that may help decide if you need to change it at all. Like I said earlier though I really like it and think it has some really cool possibilities. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Do you have a desired stocking plan yet? Corals, fish, inverts? Based on what you want to keep, that may help decide if you need to change it at all. Like I said earlier though I really like it and think it has some really cool possibilities

. I'm thinking 3 fish. A clown, maybe a fire angel, not sure on the third maybe a cardinal. I'm going to start with softies and see how I do with those before moving into any lost or sps. I want to have a nice diversity of shape and color in the tank

skyscraper2290
1 hour ago, JaysonDenver said:

. I'm thinking 3 fish. A clown, maybe a fire angel, not sure on the third maybe a cardinal. I'm going to start with softies and see how I do with those before moving into any lost or sps. I want to have a nice diversity of shape and color in the tank

Be sure to do plenty of research on all the fish. Angels can nip at corals, especially SPS if that’s something you want in the future so keep that in mind. What size is the tank? 40B?

56 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Be sure to do plenty of research on all the fish. Angels can nip at corals, especially SPS if that’s something you want in the future so keep that in mind. What size is the tank? 40B?

Yeah it's a 40B. I have heard that they do nip but sps isn't something I'm seriously considering at this point so I'm considering it at the moment. I definitely need to check the compatibility of species before I add anything. I really like the designer clowns so I'm going to plan my other fish around what will live well with that. What are your favorite fish for a 40B?

skyscraper2290

Well have never had a 40B but a couple that come to mind that I would want would be a leopard wrasse, anthias, yellow assessor, maybe a couple hi fin or yasha gobies with a pistol shrimp. Also blennies have really cool personalities so maybe a tail spot or starry blenny. 

I really enjoy fish fish that have symbiotic relationships which is why I mentioned the gobies/shrimp pair. They may get “lost” in a 40B though. 

While I think clowns are cool fish after my first experience with them I wouldn’t get them again. I couldn’t put my hands in the tank without them attacking me. 

Also I really like utility fish that can help serve a purpose in the tank, algae eaters, pest eaters, sand sifters. Just some food for thought for ya. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Well have never had a 40B but a couple that come to mind that I would want would be a leopard wrasse, anthias, yellow assessor, maybe a couple hi fin or yasha gobies with a pistol shrimp. Also blennies have really cool personalities so maybe a tail spot or starry blenny. 

I really enjoy fish fish that have symbiotic relationships which is why I mentioned the gobies/shrimp pair. They may get “lost” in a 40B though. 

While I think clowns are cool fish after my first experience with them I wouldn’t get them again. I couldn’t put my hands in the tank without them attacking me. 

Also I really like utility fish that can help serve a purpose in the tank, algae eaters, pest eaters, sand sifters. Just some food for thought for ya. 

Yeah my clown absolutely hated me haha. I really like the thoughts it gives me a lot to think about

skyscraper2290

Ya I would really love to do a 40B one day and those are some fish I have always wanted to have. Hope that helps, once you narrow down your stocking list you will have a better idea for your final scape. I think what you have though is really good. Just start epoxying it together so it’s nice and stable. I have seen people who will use crushed up dry rock to cover the outside of epoxy before it sets.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:06 PM, Slim64684 said:

Intensive, purposes, yup. 

1380E7EE-AD87-42F8-BCF4-59439A8CFC0B.gif