Top Shelf Aquatics

nocturnal clown?

swiftisthefuture

swiftisthefuture

i recently bought i clown from dr foster and smith... i went for the cheap one (the small size) and what i recieved was very small indeed less than half an inch... he was given a hard time by the damsels in my tank (i wish i knew a good way to get rid of them but i hate to just flush fish and they are nearly impossible to catch) any way the damsels messed with him for a while and when i came home one day he was no where to be seen i thought he was a goner but i woke up the following morning before the lights came on and saw him... now he never comes out in the day but he is very active at night.... the other guys in the tank (my tang and damsels) spend some time out but not as much as him....

tahnks in advance

swift

Thats an interesting situation. My clown (tomato) is also active at night. I see small clown fish like yours at my LFS. They are tank bred percs. Supposedly they live longer after purchase due to stress levels being lower. As for eliminating your damsels most lfs will take them back, if not for store credit, then at least just to take it of your hands. my favorite line when they say "but nothing is wrong with him" is " then theres no reason you couldn't re-sell him."

Your clown is probably under significant stress, and it may be difficult to feed him in this situation as many damsels, including mine are greedy fish....fortunately my clown is quite a bit larger, but my clown gets stressed also.

Archived