Innovative Marine Aquariums

Filtration with Protein Skimmer

WhiteVelvetStarfish

WhiteVelvetStarfish

Hey Everyone,

I have been searching the forums for a day or so trying to figure out the best path forward here and I'm not finding what I need.  Hoping someone here can help!

Background: 

I have a Biocube LED 16g with a heater in chamber 1, floss and chemipure in chamber 2 and the pump in chamber 3.  My friend recently suggested a protein skimmer given that I am seeing a slight uptick in nitrates and I want to avoid big water changes.  I'm doing 5% weekly with 10% every other week and this is helping to keep my mag, alk and cal consistent.  

Question:

I am thinking of just picking up the biocube protein skimmer.  Does anyone have any opinions or experience with this skimmer?  Is there something better that people have used?  More importantly, where do I put this in my tank?  Do I need the chemipure and floss if I have the skimmer? 

How high are the nitrates? The easier solution would just be to change a little extra water - you are only averaging a little over 1 gallon per week in water changes, which isn't much at all. How often do you change the filter floss? That could be your source of extra nitrates there (or just building up from not changing much water).

The biocube skimmer is an airstone based skimmer, so it's an ongoing cost to replace the airstone (and a pain in the ass). If you are dead set on getting a skimmer, you can get Aquatic Life mini - I had one briefly on my 20g, but they aren't all that effective because they are tiny. My friend put it on his 32 biocube and it fit in one of the back chambers - not sure if it fits in the 16 though. You may have to do some cutting. I wouldn't bother with a skimmer in an AIO that small.

WhiteVelvetStarfish
19 minutes ago, jservedio said:

How high are the nitrates? The easier solution would just be to change a little extra water - you are only averaging a little over 1 gallon per week in water changes, which isn't much at all. How often do you change the filter floss? That could be your source of extra nitrates there (or just building up from not changing much water).

The biocube skimmer is an airstone based skimmer, so it's an ongoing cost to replace the airstone (and a pain in the ass). If you are dead set on getting a skimmer, you can get Aquatic Life mini - I had one briefly on my 20g, but they aren't all that effective because they are tiny. My friend put it on his 32 biocube and it fit in one of the back chambers - not sure if it fits in the 16 though. You may have to do some cutting. I wouldn't bother with a skimmer in an AIO that small.

That's why I'm asking.  I really don't want to get something just for the sake of getting it.  As for the filter floss, I have been changing every 2-3 days as needed.  Nitrates aren't high so to speak, I've just been monitoring levels and noticed that since I started changing water less often, they've gone from ~2 to ~5.  Not a huge deal, but definitely trending in the wrong direction.

32 minutes ago, dasoxx said:

That's why I'm asking.  I really don't want to get something just for the sake of getting it.  As for the filter floss, I have been changing every 2-3 days as needed.  Nitrates aren't high so to speak, I've just been monitoring levels and noticed that since I started changing water less often, they've gone from ~2 to ~5.  Not a huge deal, but definitely trending in the wrong direction.

It's likely just the smaller water changes. 5ppm of nitrates is good - if it keeps trending upward maybe just change a little more water. I personally wouldn't get a one of those tiny skimmers again. They are cheap, so if you wanted to mess around with it, it's not a big investment - just be sure to measure where you are going to try and stuff it into and be prepared to bust out the dremel. However, I personally wouldn't buy another micro sized skimmer since I was less than impressed.

• Thanks 1