Pod Your Reef

Lymphocystis - Fish Disease Information

Humblefish

Lymphocystis

What You Need To Know:

* This is a virus that many fish carry for life. The white nodules (cauliflower-like growths) can grow both externally and internally; so symptoms are not always visible.
* There is no known cure for Lympho. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions will help send the virus into remission.
* Lympho is rarely fatal; typically only older or weakened fish are at risk.

cauliflower.jpgSyGfG3Z.jpgLymphocystis_Emperor_Angel_620px.jpgAppZbvw.jpg

Additional Information

Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored wart-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. It can also grow over internal organs, including a fish's gills. Initially it may be small (looks like Ich), but then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not Ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment Options - No known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process. The lesions/nodules typically clear in 2-3 weeks, but can also take months in rare instances.

More detailed information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 years later...

Thank you so much for that information.  He eats well and the food I feed him are vitamin enriched.  I also try to keep my water pristine with weekly water changes and I have an oversized protein skimmer.   Hopefully it will go away.  I would hate to loose the little guy.

Thanks again.  

• Like 2