Coral Vue Hydros

Pico heating alternatives

ffoott

Hey guys, 

I've been trying to think about some alternatives to the regular heater option for a reef jar build I'm planning...

Has anyone tried something different? I've heard it's possible to use a replite heater pad to heat it from the base up. 

If you have any tips on that or other options, please share! 

IMG_20190131_155402.jpg

Floundering_Around
Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, dolfanjack said:

I used a candle warmer on a ink bird temp controller. it's cheap, and works great.

I’ve been curious about this idea! Do you ever worry about water contact from drips and maintenance?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I’ve been curious about this idea! Do you ever worry about water contact from drips and maintenance?

I have used a candle warmer heating a three gallon jar. Drips, spills, and salt hasn't been a problem. just wipe it off when you clean.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, dolfanjack said:

I used a candle warmer on a ink bird temp controller. it's cheap, and works great.

I had no idea candles needed to be warmed. First world problems.

• Haha 2
Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, dolfanjack said:

I have used a candle warmer heating a three gallon jar. Drips, spills, and salt hasn't been a problem. just wipe it off when you clean.

That's great! Is the warming plate wider than the jar itself? Any other details on it are appreciated, I have an Anchor Hocking 2 gallon glass jar that is about 9.5" wide.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Pico heating alternatives
Christopher Marks
On 1/31/2019 at 6:39 PM, ffoott said:

I've been trying to think about some alternatives to the regular heater option for a reef jar build I'm planning...

Has anyone tried something different? I've heard it's possible to use a replite heater pad to heat it from the base up. 

If you have any tips on that or other options, please share! 

IMG_20190131_155402.jpg

I stumbled upon this interesting Hydor slim heater a few weeks back, it's notable because it's flat and meant to be buried in sand, the cord exits at a 90 degree angle. It might fit right at the bottom of your jar?

hydor betta heater.png

• Thanks 1
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, GlassHouse said:

I had no idea candles needed to be warmed. First world problems.

you get the smell of the candle without the open flame.

22 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's great! Is the warming plate wider than the jar itself? Any other details on it are appreciated, I have an Anchor Hocking 2 gallon glass jar that is about 9.5" wide.

I only used globes with a small base so I don't know how the jar would work. I used a small grid (metal with a plastic coating) for my bowl to sit on, that way the glass was not in contact with the warmer. it was ghetto, but it worked.

• Like 1

So you can use the ink bird controller to adjust the temperature of "set temp" devices, is that it? 

Sorry for the noob questions, had never heard of one of these... 

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, ffoott said:

So you can use the ink bird controller to adjust the temperature of "set temp" devices, is that it?

You are correct, the Inkbird acts as a thermostat for any device that is plugged into it, in this case a heating element. When the Inkbird temperature probe in your tank detects the water is too cold, it sends power to the heating device that is plugged in. When the Inkbird temperature probe reaches the programmed temperature, power to the heating device is turned off. The Inkbird ITC-308 can also control a cooling outlet in the same way, allowing you to send power to a cooling fan if that temperature exceeds a set point. You can leave the cooling side unused however, it is optional.

3 hours ago, ffoott said:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B07H8WR7Q3/

And would this work? Waterproof... 

I think that mug warmer has very good potential!

5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

You are correct, the Inkbird acts as a thermostat for any device that is plugged into it, in this case a heating element. When the Inkbird temperature probe in your tank detects the water is too cold, it sends power to the heating device that is plugged in. When the Inkbird temperature probe reaches the programmed temperature, power to the heating device is turned off. The Inkbird ITC-308 can also control a cooling outlet in the same way, allowing you to send power to a cooling fan if that temperature exceeds a set point. You can leave the cooling side unused however, it is optional.

I think that mug warmer has very good potential!

That's very interesting! 

What didn't click with me about that is that I didn't see the optimal temperature range for our tanks in the supported range for the device. Probly ddint understand what I was reading! 

Thanks

• Like 1