ReefCleaners.org

Where to find large glass jars, 3-5 gallon?

waldoz

I have been looking for a bit and have not really found any ideal glass jars with lids. I was out at the coast at goodwill and keep kicking my self for not buying a 3 gallon one for $10. Is that something you guys buy online or just hunt around for them?  I am open for some places to look.  I think this might be the only way I can get a saltwater tank in the house 😛

I've never seen a 5 gallon jar that could be used for a pico...but Anchor Hocking did have a 3 gallon option in their Heritage Hill line...hard to find now.

I'd love to learn there's a 4 or 5 gallon option available though. at least, something different than the carboys out there. 😛 

they are imperfect...the other option is the 2 gallon Montana jar from Anchor Hocking.

so far the only things I've found that are actual aquariums are 4 gallon acrylic bubbles or cylinders from biOrb. they're not cheap and I shy away from acrylic cause of the scratch potential.

if you can figure a way to take the top off a glass carboy and then smooth the edges so they're not sharp, you'd have something between 4 - 5 gallons to use there.

Check out your local Home Goods store. Every time I’m there I see something that would probably work for you. 

Btw...It’s a great way to get a reef in your house. I did the same thing and now have a 45g! 

• Like 1