Coinee

Brown rust coloured algae (Cyano?)

I just noticed this happening in my tank last night. It wasn't here a couple days ago but it just suddenly appeared. It is kind of a brownish-rust coloured substance in the tank. It seems like cyanobacteria based on my googling. I just noticed today that its surrounding the base of my GSP more than anything. GSP seems happy and is fully extended right now. 

This is a new pico jar, I just added my coral about a week and a half ago. My water is distilled water that measures 0 or 1 TDS. My nitrates are under 5 ppm. 

How do I get rid of this? Is there anything that eats this? Like a snail? I have no cleanup crew in the tank right now. 

IMG_20190130_230602_79.jpg

IMG_20190130_230616_98.jpg

IMG_20190130_230701_28.jpg

IMG_20190130_230712_74.jpg

1 hour ago, mtnbikeracer said:

Could possibly be diatoms.

How are the phosphate levels?

How long are the lights on for?

I don't check phosphate. Lights have been on for 7-8 hours a day. 

Maybe I should get a snail? But what kind would benefit this?

Recommendations?   72 hour black-out? Buy a *insert name here* snail?

They are normal in new tanks. They go away on their own when the food source is depleted which is mostly silicate.

• Like 2

Good to know, thank you. Here are 3 more pictures not underneath any blue lighting. They're more brown than red under normal lighting.

20190201_132331.jpg

20190201_132337.jpg

20190201_132353.jpg

I went to one of the local reef stores today. She told me it just sounds like new tank syndrome (just bloom) and said it would sort itself in time.

yep, look just like the diatoms I got on my rock when I first cycled my tank. Turned the whole rock a brownish color for a few weeks.

In some tanks it can get unsightly and others not so much.

Do you have a clean up crew?

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

In some tanks it can get unsightly and others not so much.

Do you have a clean up crew?

Nothing in my tank now except coral.

1 hour ago, Coinee said:

Nothing in my tank now except coral.

A clean up crew is very important for the rocks, glass, and sandbed

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

A clean up crew is very important for the rocks, glass, and sandbed

Recommendations for the jar's clean up crew?

18 minutes ago, Coinee said:

Recommendations for the jar's clean up crew?

A nassarius, a trochus, 2 ceriths

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

A nassarius, a trochus, 2 ceriths

I added a small snail I got from the LFS earlier. A couple hours later I noticed my GSP was pissed off so I checked params and my ammonia was 0.75 ppm and my nitrite was 0.5 ppm. Did an emergency water change. This snail bastard must have ####ed shit up or something, I think it was half dead or something because it didn't open up when I took it out of the tank and set it down. I am 100% sure I cycled my tank before I added anything. Anyway, I'm leaving my tank alone for a while, nothing is being added or taken out for a bit. #### the diatoms for now.

I did a water change before adding the snail so the snail HAS to be the issue. 

Here is a shot of the rock outside of the tank, if anyone wants to take a look:

If ur showing any ammonia then the tank hasn’t finished the cycle which is probably why the GSP is pissed. It sounds like ur almost there tho. Don’t add anything more til the ammonia is 0 for a few days. The snail may or may not make it, as ammonia is nasty stuff. Just give it a few days but continue testing. GSP is pretty tough and u’ll be glad its on an island. It’s one of the “weeds”, like Xenia and will take over the rock if not isolated. Check out my post; “GSP growth-10 weeks” here in the Coral Forum. 

1 hour ago, Oldsalt01 said:

If ur showing any ammonia then the tank hasn’t finished the cycle which is probably why the GSP is pissed. It sounds like ur almost there tho. Don’t add anything more til the ammonia is 0 for a few days. The snail may or may not make it, as ammonia is nasty stuff. Just give it a few days but continue testing. GSP is pretty tough and u’ll be glad its on an island. It’s one of the “weeds”, like Xenia and will take over the rock if not isolated. Check out my post; “GSP growth-10 weeks” here in the Coral Forum. 

The tank was totally cycled. It processed ammonia fine when I used the ammonia drops before I added coral. I think the snail was probably sick/dying and I caught it when it died. I have not had any issues except this one issue. Everything has been running clean and fine since!