inTank Media Baskets

Waterbox 20 cube powerhead or wave makers?

Nubz04

Hi all I’m new to the forum but not the hobby. I’m looking to start a new tank the Waterbox Cube 20. I’m looking for input on power head/wave makers. I have a mp10 now I need to order a new wet side. So in the process I looked at other options and one is the icecap gyre 1k as an alternative. I figured maybe it’s time try new equipment while I’m at it

What at would you guys recommend 

the mp10 or the icecap gyre 1k 

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Waterbox 20 cube powerhead or wave makers?
Chicago Nano Guy

Im doing the same setup ,WB20 just bought the AI Hydra 26HD today and Cobalt150W Neo therm heater, Upgraded stock pump to a tunze silence, and while it is expensive Im gonna try out the AI Nero5 for flow just being able to sync lights and wave maker via an APP is to sweet to pass up , I going all SPS so flow is also a big factor for the decision. Im an old reefer getting back in and know cutting corners at the setup alway comes back and bites you in the ass. Good luck I'd go MP10 

I am also setting up a Waterbox 20 and debating lights/flow.

Currently using a Tunze 6015 and Nanobox mini from a previous setup that will do well for LPS.  Although want to go SPS this time which will probably go the same route as @Chicago_nano_guy with Hydra26 and Nero5.

Just need to check what the minimum flow of the Nero5 to make sure it isnt overkill. 

Love my MP10 on my WB20.

D679D51E-1800-4373-BBF0-101ADA68147E.thumb.jpeg.2b5b178a458a1707ff93093d92a7a5f0.jpeg

That said... I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about the Nero 5. It’s just the new kid in the block and some of us like gear as much as coral. 🙂

• Like 1
Chicago Nano Guy

Im saving my pennies for the Nero5  my light is a Hydra 26 hd so although I think it is ridiculously expensive (what isn't in this hobby) I think being able to control both light and flow from one APP is to cool to pass up. While you WaterBox 20 guys/gals are floating around what do you all use for ATO? Its the last piece of my puzzle 

Thanks 

Chi 

Let me know how the Nero works out for you guys if it’s to much flow or better than the mp10 I’m going to order a new wet side and wait and see how you guys like the Nero 5 if it’s promising I may upgrade to that 

• Like 1

I just got my Current eFlux Nano 660. Super confusing setup with a lot of cables, but once you get it running, it's really quite nice!

It's super small and you don't have an ugly wart sticking to the side of the tank. Also very inexpensive to add additional powerheads which I'm going to do.

Chicago Nano Guy

I think the MP10 is an awesome wave maker but catch this, I wanted to save this for my build thread but, you can mount the Nero5 to the back of the WB20 tank because the wet side is inside the tank, I am a minimalist and want as little perfusion into the tank as possible. I also want as little as possible on the outside, I have a picture in my head and Im about $150 dollars from water and sand.. Kidding my LFS guy is gonna order me up the Nero5, Finish painting the room and away we will go. 

• 2 weeks later...

For ATO it might be overkill but I went with the Tunze 3155 because of the 2 failsafes (float valve and eye.) The nano ones only have the 1 failsafe and I wanted to run a large reservoir and my wife might divorce me if I dump 5+ gallons of water on her hardwood floor lol. Plus if I want to upgrade tank later I will already have the 3155. I have no experience though so listening to me isn't prolly the best, just from the research I did I wanted the extra failsafe. 

My GF put the Smart ATO Micro on her 5 gallon, and it works great....so quiet as well!  I may end up putting one on my 29BC.  Now I offered this water mover on another thread and was crucified for it because I am using "honda civic vs a porsche".....I use two Jebao WR-8s in my tank and they do great.  Cost wise they are very affordable, link up via blue tooth, and work great for my needs. 

Now, by all means go with something more expensive for more controls, options etc, I just can't spend 300 bucks on some water movers, I'll save that for my monthly filtration needs lol!