inTank Media Baskets

3 Gallon Pico Jar w/Sump - The Plan

Friendly

I happened to get one of the rare/elusive 3 gallon Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill jars (actually, I have one of ever size, to be honest) and when we move in the next month or two, I'm going to set it up and FINALLY start my first SW project. I have or almost have all the equipment needed as I bought it for the pico reef contest...ATO's, pumps, heaters, etc.

I am planning on setting this up with a 5 gallon bucket sump in a custom stand made out of scrap oak slats, though I am open to using an actual tank if it proves more feasible. the cost of a 10 gallon is likely the same price or maybe even cheaper than the cost of a 5 gallon bucket with the gamma lid.

I know it may sound a bit ambitious...but do you think there are any dwarf goby/shrimp combo's that would work in 3 gallons?

• Like 1

I made a bucket sump for a biocube. It was rather crude. But it worked. 

Id look into making a overflow out of 1/4 or 1/2" pvc. The smallest jebao dc pump would be overkill,  but can be set to recirculate in the sump and run a reactor for added water volume

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, JBM said:

I made a bucket sump for a biocube. It was rather crude. But it worked. 

Id look into making a overflow out of 1/4 or 1/2" pvc. The smallest jebao dc pump would be overkill,  but can be set to recirculate in the sump and run a reactor for added water volume

did you make a build thread documenting the process to build your bucket sump?

I wouldn't be against using a tank...but is there such a think as a 10 gallon tall?  LoL!

Sounds like a fun project! 

The bucket sump is a good plan - I made a sump out of a tupperware container awhile back. I immediately thought of something I made that you might find useful if you do end up going that route. The biggest problem with having a sump like that would be micro bubbles unless you're planning on using a filter sock or adding chambers. I made an acrylic box with couple of 90 degree pvc elbows. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures but it's all I have of the thing. Eliminated the micro bubbles completely. If you're interested I could do a quick drawing of it for you. I wish I took better pictures of it back then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as the shrimp/ goby pair goes, I think you could get away with a Hi Fin/ Candy Cane. They both stay pretty small and once they have established a den they really don't move around much

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

thanks Justin! does your thread have any photo's of the bucket sump you made?

Sorry, I only ever used the tupperware container I linked in my previous post - no bucket but similar concept.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

did you make a build thread documenting the process to build your bucket sump?

I wouldn't be against using a tank...but is there such a think as a 10 gallon tall?  LoL!

No,  i didn't,  but i can draw you a diagram. And,  for what it's worth.  You can use two 5.5's if your willing to drill one of them. 5 gallon refugium would be epic

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, JBM said:

No,  i didn't,  but i can draw you a diagram. And,  for what it's worth.  You can use two 5.5's if your willing to drill one of them. 5 gallon refugium would be epic

hey JBM, sure, share some diagrams. and your suggestion of a refugium...can you clarify what you mean by two buckets?

54 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Sorry, I only ever used the tupperware container I linked in my previous post - no bucket but similar concept.

whoops, I meant JBM...my bad...  :blush:

1 minute ago, JBM said:

I was refering to two 5.5g tanks. Not a bucket. When i get home and have access to paper 

I understand...yes, looking forward to the drawings!

I'm not sure I fully understand the sketch...but some observations.

1) I see an algae reactor with the drip plate...not a refugium?

2) is the bucket separated into compartments at all?

3) explain where the flex hose comes from

4) what's the purpose of the PVC? in or out? and what is it connected to?

for the bucket sump I saw, the creator separated it into four compartments, like quadrants, with two pieces of acrylic that were cut the diameter of the bucket, placed and then silicon sealant was used. each quadrant represented a stage. first was the intake, where there was a filter stock, stuffed with floss. second was where they placed their nano skimmer (it was for a IM30L Nuvo Black), then the third was a refugium with an LED that he submersed in the chamber and then the fourth had the return pump. this was all sealed with with a gamma lid and quick disconnect valves using flexible Plex piping so he could simply swap out between two bucket sumps he had for easy changes.

1) Drip plate is what your filter floss would go on top of.

2) no separate compartments

3) flex hose is your return line

4) pvc holds up drip plate

tbh, i like your bucket sump much better.

on the aside...I'm gonna see if someone who's good with acrylic is up to figuring out how to ship a custom sump/refugium that is shipped flat and assembled by the end user.

freight isn't such a big issue within the continental US, but try to cross the border into BC and it becomes a royal headache and unreasonable expense, especially for something like an aquarium or sump, with all that wasted space.

if your gonna go through that hassle, might as well find a good acrylic shop in bc. designing a sump really isnt all that hard. and if your gonna put it together yourself anyway. buy local

I'm all thumbs and don't understand anything mechanical or fluid and I'm terrible with math concepts. how would I assemble the acrylic so it withstands the pressures of the water it's holding, etc?