inTank Media Baskets

Right Protein Skimmer for Biocube 16g

WhiteVelvetStarfish

WhiteVelvetStarfish

Hi All,

I started a 16g LED Biocube a couple months back and I'm getting the hang of water changes and keeping my levels where I want them.  Thing are finally running smoothly and my mag, alk and cal are all where I want them to be consistently.  This was achieved by eliminating the daily water changes and actually decreasing my overall water change percentage.  I'm doing 5% from the  bottom of the tank weekly with 10% every other week.  I dose the tank as needed and it helps me keep things a little more stable.

All of that said, as you would expect, I've seen a slight uptick in nitrates. The level isn't dangerous currently, but it is heading in the wrong direction.  A friend suggested that I get a protein skimmer soon and I'm looking for suggestions. I've seen a ton of varying opinions on here and I'd love some advice for my particular situation.  What I'd like to understand is

1) Which brand of protein skimmer do I pick up?

2) Where do I put it?

I currently have a heater in chamber 1, floss and chemipure in chamber 2 and the pump in 3.

Thanks!

George

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
WhiteVelvetStarfish
On 2/9/2019 at 10:28 PM, Cdeg4 said:

I'm running the coralife one that's designed for the tank, see a lot of bashing... but I clean a dirty collection cup daily... My opinion good value for cost.

Where do you keep it?

Chamber 1... it's small and easily fits with wiggle room, even more if you took out the floor (I didn't take mine out yet)... Might fit your heater too depending on your heater size, you might be able to keep both in 1.

I have my heater in chamber 3 with the pump, it's a Cobalt 50 or 75 forget which.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
SugarWithcoffee&Cream

I am also running a 16 bio cube for a couple of months and have been scouring the internet for a skimming solution. I am wondering if you found anything yet and how it’s working. The Bio Skim looks like it will work. The ice cap and eshopps mania might also... if they fit... And the Tunze one is probably the best of the bunch, but it’s an awful lot of money if it doesn’t fit. I started my search actually looking for an external HOB, - like the Aquamaxx HOB but something that is more appropriate for a 16g tank. - in the mean time I have ordered a cheap light and am going to run with some chaeto in chamber 1. Post if you come up with a solution for nutrient export that works.