Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Recommended Corals for best color/form range

CarlosM

Hi - I currently have a nano reef tank (6 gal) that is about two months old, fully cycled.

All I have right now is a small colony of Green Star Polyps.

Due to the limited space, I’d like to plan out in advance and build to a selection of 5-6 corals that would cover a bright range of Orange, Red, Blue, and Green.

Have been thinking about one or two Euphyllias (mainly due to their awesome shape, form), Monti Caps, Birds Nests, Acans.....but not sure if those would give me the best and brightest range of colors. I know Zoanthids come in some interesting colorations, but not too crazy about them to be honest. 

In general, would like to aim for a LPS, Soft Coral dominant tank with maybe one or two SPS’s.

Realize there may be multiple opinions here, but would love to get some thoughts, suggestions from some experienced nano reefers....thanks!

Picture below of current layout.

89F9396D-E386-4FB9-9D37-57CC157CD47F.jpeg

As you mentioned yourself, Euphyllia for color and movement.

Ricordea mushrooms, acans, favias and blastos may not provide much movement but easy to care for and amazing colors available.

Montis are quite hardy, fast growers and come in various colors. I like chili pepper and sunset montis.

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

I like the rock work.  There are lots of great locations for corals.  However, I would move that colony of GSP to the sand bed.  If not, it will end up covering all the rocks in your main structure.

IDK, picking coral involves an individual's preferences (which for me, seems to change).  But it is nice to have some variety in height and movement.  Sometimes I get ideas/inspiration from looking at other people's tanks.

The pic makes the lighting look a little weak.  Either that or it's just stronger in the back middle.  I'm not sure if that's something you'll have to address going forward.

• Thanks 1

I am a big fan of Aquasd.com.  They have what you see is what you get for the most part and have many of the corals you listed in various colors.  They have always thrown in a freebie with every order I have made.  Check you their website.  www.aquasd.com   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mushrooms come in quite a great array of colours. You may be crazy about zoas if you find the right colour...some of them can be amazing. I wasn't super into zoas at first but then I saw some of the colours available and I converted 100%. Favia and blastomussa have some cool colours going for them as well. 

If you can find a nicely coloured toadstool as well, that can be a nice tank addition since it has some movement and looks neat. But they can grow big, so maybe rethink it if you don't have a place to relocate it if it gets too large.

• Thanks 1

Acans are great for oranges and reds

Fungia Plates are another great option they come in oranges, blues, greens

Ricordea all sorts of colour

Hammers 

Birdsnest comes in nice greens

Monti digi comes in bright reds that stand out

Lighting as well as personal preference will also depend on your choices

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, seabass said:

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

I like the rock work.  There are lots of great locations for corals.  However, I would move that colony of GSP to the sand bed.  If not, it will end up covering all the rocks in your main structure.

IDK, picking coral involves an individual's preferences (which for me, seems to change).  But it is nice to have some variety in height and movement.  Sometimes I get ideas/inspiration from looking at other people's tanks.

The pic makes the lighting look a little weak.  Either that or it's just stronger in the back middle.  I'm not sure if that's something you'll have to address going forward.

Thanks all!

seabass,

appreciate the pointer on the lighting. I am actually struggling a little with that.

Im attempting to keep a clean look with the Fluval Edge and am using the newer Fluval Nano Marine LED (20 watts). I think PAR and spectrum wise its good enough, but the having issues with fitting it in my hood. Its currently secured all the way to the inside front of the hood, but is still slightly touching the stock HOB filter which is causing it to tilt a little towards the back of the tank.

I just bought the light, and although I really like its affordability and customization via the app, Im willing to return it if someone has a better suggestion while maintaining the clean look of the Edge