Cultivated Reef

Should I be worried??

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a six line wrasse in my tank who is usually very active, but for the past 3 days, I haven’t even seen him? He usually likes to go inside of rocks and hides there for a while, but never this long? Should I try to take the live rock out of my tank to find him?

No.  If he's stressed, moving rocks around is only going to make things worse.  Have you done a thorough check outside the tank to make sure it didn't jump out?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Yea, I have a very tight lid, he couldn’t possibly jump out, and I’ve never even seen him attempt to jump. 

If he is dead somewhere in a rock, what should I look for? Like a spike in ammonia or something? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Right before he started hiding and where I haven’t seen him, I moved all of my liverock around, I didn’t like how it looked. Could he be hiding bc of the commotion in the tank that I made?

14 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Right before he started hiding and where I haven’t seen him, I moved all of my liverock around, I didn’t like how it looked. Could he be hiding bc of the commotion in the tank that I made?

I guess it's possible he could still be hiding from that scare. I have a Hoevens wrasse and that dude buries himself in the sand to sleep at night or when he gets spooked. Sometimes I worry because I dont see him for a couple of days. But he always eventually shows up and pigs out. I think its mainly because he's out while I'm at work and burrowed by the time I get home. Sometimes he will still be out and I usually will feed at that point just for him and then my clown just eats on schedule. I'm getting the Neptune feeder pretty soon. He will enjoy that. 

You could see an ammonia spike depending on the size of the tank.  Do you have hermits in the tank?  Are they all in a particular area...maybe eating a dead fish?

Yes he could be hiding because the rearrangement of the rocks. Fish will often establish territories, and when everything changes its probably very confusing.

What I'm understanding is that you haven't seen it since moving your rocks around.  Give it a couple of days to see of it comes out.

Recommend not constantly messing with things/moving things around as it often creates stress for inhabitants.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

You could see an ammonia spike depending on the size of the tank.  Do you have hermits in the tank?  Are they all in a particular area...maybe eating a dead fish?

Yes he could be hiding because the rearrangement of the rocks. Fish will often establish territories, and when everything changes its probably very confusing.

What I'm understanding is that you haven't seen it since moving your rocks around.  Give it a couple of days to see of it comes out.

Recommend not constantly messing with things/moving things around as it often creates stress for inhabitants.

Ok, I don’t have many hermits, they don’t seem to be around one area tho, I also have 2 emerald crabs, and they aren’t around one specific area either. I’ll just give it time

A wrasse only needs a space the size of it's body-profile to get out through.  I've seen a fat 5" long Scotts Wrasse jump though a hole that was just .5" wide by 1" long.  He had to scrape the out of his body going though, but he made it....all the way down into the tank below his.

hopefully he shows up, but wrasses are consummate jumpers.

yeah, if you spook him he might hide. when i added my sixline i didnt see him for a few days and i absolutely lost my shit. he eventually came out at feeding time and he ate like a pig. just give it a few more day.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He still hasn’t shown up after 2 weeks? I even took all the rocks out and looked for him, no site of him. I’m thinking that my emerald crab may have gotten ahold of him, he was my smallest fish.