Cultivated Reef

Sera Costapur

sr2z

Hello, I would like to ask if you have any experience in using Sera costapur for marine ich. In the instruction manual they say that it is copper-free but is it really reef safe?

I do not have any experience with it.  I got the information from this site: https://www.sera.de/en/product/freshwater-aquarium/sera-costapur/

which states, "Attention: cartilaginous fish (Chondrichthyes) and invertebrates do not tolerate the treatment!"  IDK, maybe it is a viable cure for ich in a hospital tank; but you'd still have to keep your reef tank fallow for 6 to 8 weeks.

There are several tried and true (non-reef safe) cures for marine ich (like Seachem Cupramine), so I haven't been inclined to try another.  Plus, I just haven't had to deal with it very often.

41 minutes ago, NanoReefer5gal said:

And is there any reef safe method?

Unfortunately, no.  There are few products which make claims, and some other remedies which a few reefers promote (like garlic); however, none of these have been proven to be effective cures against actual marine ich (Cryptocaryon irritans).  Here is an article that I wrote:

17 hours ago, NanoReefer5gal said:

And is there any reef safe method? Setting up a quarantine tank is one thing but the parasites are still in the tank.

Leave the tank without fish for 76 days to starve the parasite. Buy a sponge filter and biospira to try and speed cycle a QT. Will still take a week or two. 

Do not cross contaminate tanks so no sharing hoses for water changes ect

In the future consider QT fish for 4-8weeks before they are added to the display tank.

I use Tank transfer method for ich.

• Like 1